You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cmd-D for “Don’t save”

I’ve brought this up before (but can’t find it anymore) and it has been kind of waved aside by staff but new observations have me bring this up again:

I’m used to hit Cmd-D when the modal dialog comes up to dismiss unsaved work. This works with every program except Affinity Designer (and LibreOffice but that’s a different subject). I have to add that my OS language/locale is set to German but still, the shortcut is universal and works in every program I can think of right now except this one. Now, I don’t remember what Serif staff told me would be the reason for that but interestingly I can use the keyboard shortcut Cmd-R for “Replace file” in the respective dialog box when saving a file with the same name as an already existing one. So, why is that? I find it a major inconvenience that I can’t dismiss unsaved work with a keyboard shortcut.

1 hour ago, VIPStephan said:

I find it a major inconvenience that I can’t dismiss unsaved work with a keyboard shortcut.

When I try to close a document which has unsaved modifications, there are three buttons ('Yes', No', and 'Cancel') in the 'Close Document' dialog that pops up. Pressing the N key on the keyboard has the same effect as pressing the 'No' button in the dialog.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

When I try to close a document which has unsaved modifications, there are three buttons ('Yes', No', and 'Cancel') in the 'Close Document' dialog that pops up. Pressing the N key on the keyboard has the same effect as pressing the 'No' button in the dialog.

This sounds like Windows, though. I’m talking about macOS.

9 hours ago, owenr said:

Cmd-D does push the "Don't Save" button in Affinity apps on my Mac with English language.

Yeah, I think the OS language is the culprit here (and I think the devs told me that already) but it’s not an excuse. As I said, it works in every other program, just not in AD. And in LibreOffice I can at least hit Cmd-N for “Nicht speichern”, but their interface doesn’t look very Apple-like anyway (because it’s not originally developed for Mac, just ported afterwards, I think).

19 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

This sounds like Windows, though. I’m talking about macOS.

Understood, but don’t the Mac versions of the Affinity apps display some kind of dialog when you try to close a document which has unsaved modifications? :/

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, owenr said:

Yes, it has three buttons: "Don't Save", "Cancel" and "Save". ("Cancel" dismisses the dialog without closing the document.)

Thanks. If you can ‘press’ one of those buttons by pressing a key, then it’s not so different from Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, owenr said:

Cmd-D, Esc and Enter press the buttons.

Thanks again: I’ve got it now. Sorry it took so long for the lightbulb to turn on! :$

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

As I said, it works in every other program

And do they use the standard OS dialog, or some specific?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Oval said:

As long as Serif does not answer, is (TAB) SPACE a workaround for you? "Alle Steuerungen” should be activated.

Thanks but that’s not an ideal workaround for me. I’m surprised how silent Serif suddenly is regarding this issue. :(

1 hour ago, VIPStephan said:

Thanks but that’s not an ideal workaround for me. I’m surprised how silent Serif suddenly is regarding this issue. :(

The Serif staff quite often don't comment on feature requests.

If you think it's a bug you can post in the appropriate Bugs on ... forum, but this forum is for suggestions for improvements, and mainly the staff just watches the topics that are raised here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you think it's a bug you can post in the appropriate Bugs on ... forum […] mainly the staff just watches the topics that are raised here

This was already done in 2016 and Serif wanted to “look into it a bit further”.

Then the discussion should continue there, not in Feature Requests, until they say that it's working by design. (In my opinion, of course.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

True, but my point remains: they respond only rarely in this forum, so if one wants a response one should post elsewhere. Either in Questions if one has a question to be answered, or in one of the Bugs forums if one has a bug to report/discuss.

-- Walt
PC:

12 hours ago, Oval said:

What a pity! Because only one instead of two keys must be pressed?

No, because activating all controls isn’t always desirable. I know that there’s a keyboard shortcut for that, too (Ctrl-F7) but activating this setting to be able to hit a button in a dialog is even more disruptive than using the mouse.