shushustorm

Layer blend mode "Transfer" and .psd

Hey everyone!

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a limitation of the .psd file type, but when using the layer blend mode "Transfer", opening exported .psd files from Affinity Designer (maybe Photo as well?) will not have the layer blend mode set to "Transfer", nor can I change any layer's mode to "Transfer".

Is this layer blend mode specific to Affinity software? (I am using Designer 1.6.0.)

If so, is there a way to approximate the effect of the "Transfer" layer mode? I am trying to export files for using in Procreate with the layers not being flattened.

Best wishes,

Shu

I’ve never heard of a ‘Transfer’ blend mode, and I don’t see such a thing in Affinity Designer on Windows (version 1.6.4).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Hi shushustorm

I'm not sure which blend mode you mean when you say transfer, however Affinity does have a couple of blend modes that PSD does not have so will not understand. Without an explanation of which blend mode you are talking about it is difficult to assist further on this

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi shushustorm,

I believe you are referring to the Passthrough mode. This is the default Blend Mode for groups and it's only applicable to groups.

It allows any Adjustment layers inside the group affect all the layers below it, including layers outside the group. If you set the group to Normal instead none of the adjustments inside the group will affect layers outside it. Photoshop also has it but again you must have a group layer selected.

owenr,

I'm aware of these details. They have been discussed/explained several times in other threads - we handle passthrough differently to Photoshop. For now it's working as it was intended. Currently we are not able to change this just for Photoshop's compatibility. There's other aspects that must be taken in consideration/tweaked before we eventually make changes here.

Thanks for your answers!

MEB is right, I was talking about the "Passthrough" mode. (I didn't realize the language was set to German, in which case "Passthrough" is titled "Transfer")

Also, it is true that new groups automatically use the Passthrough mode.

Then again, the usage of adjustment layers doesn't seem to be the only difference between Passthrough and Normal, because I didn't use any adjustment layers and both modes result in different images. Maybe effects (fx symbol next to layer name; is that a "Live Filter"?) are calculated differently as well?

Because that's the only thing sort of fancy that I was using (a few hundred gaussian blurs).

I guess I will just try to not use any Passthrough then, from now on, since Procreate and Unity don't support affinity files, which means I need to export to .psds.

14 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

Then again, the usage of adjustment layers doesn't seem to be the only difference between Passthrough and Normal, because I didn't use any adjustment layers and both modes result in different images. Maybe effects (fx symbol next to layer name; is that a "Lie Filter"?) are calculated differently as well?

Hi shushustorm,

Without seeing the file it's difficult to guess what's going on. There's multiple possible constructs/variables that may affect the result you see on screen. If you don't mind uploading the file using this link we will take a look.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi shushustorm,

Without seeing the file it's difficult to guess what's going on. There's multiple possible constructs/variables that may affect the result you see on screen. If you don't mind uploading the file using this link we will take a look.

Hey MEB! I just uploaded a file that shows this issue. Setting "Temple_0003_01" -> "Layer 1" to blend mode Normal will result in a different image than using Passthrough.

Since I am trying to avoid using Passthrough in future files altogether: Is there a way to change the behaviour that for new groups Passthrough is selected automatically? Instead, setting it to Normal? (I am using groups excessively)