You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Team, 

I have recently updated my DSLR Camera to the new Canon M50, this camera uses a new RAW file, CR3 files.

Please can you update me and other users as to when Affinity Photo will support this file format? 

No pressure, but Adobe has now updated PS to include this new files format. 

• Staff

@HercUk

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

We sort of can let you know, yes. If you "follow" this Supported Raw Formats thread (there's a Follow option near the top of every thread) then when we add new formats I plan to post in that thread and edit the initial post to add in the new formats. So although I do not know when we will add new formats, by being a watcher on that thread you will know if your particular format has been added each time we post to it.

Patrick

P.S Please stick around, and you will find we are not driven by what any other applications do or don't do.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 year later...

You may not be driven by what other applications do or don't do, but does Affinity Photo open the Canon's CR3 files yet. 

I too bought a Canon M50 and the Windows 10 Affinity software.  Since the prior post was in 2018 I'm genuinely hoping it does!

Thanks,

Paul 

• Staff

@LakeSailor

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

We are just in the process of updating our RAW file support and so the Canon EOS M50 should be supported when Affinity Photo 1.8.0 is released.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 10 months later...

I am running Mac OS 10.15.7 and Affinity Photo 1.8.6. I have just purchased a Canon EOS R5 and the raw files it produces, both Raw and CRaw are not supported. This, even though the screen that appears on selecting the file to be opened describes the selected file as "Affinity Openable". I have become dependant on Affinity Photo for all my image processing and this was a setback I didn't anticipate. I suppose I rather naively assumed that Canon CR3 files, being used on many existing cameras, would open without problem in Affinity. Could you advise me when it is likely that files produced by a Canon R5 will be openable in Affinity?

1 hour ago, John Whittle said:

Could you advise me when it is likely that files produced by a Canon R5 will be openable in Affinity?

When the underlayed and by Affinity used libraw library supports that cam (see supported cams there and actually by Affinity) and when a future updated Affinity Photo version will then also include that libraw version. - BTW, even MacOS Big Sur also doesn't support a R5 yet (see here). - Momentary you would have to use Canon's own DPP software!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2