You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D graphics - is it possible?

retrograde and gabriel

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already found Vectary, and also wings 3d, as well as a number of Blender tutorial videos.

I do now think that it makes more sense to leave 3d to the Blender people. There are some features of 3d design which present significant problems.

Solid modelling isn't too bad, though there needs to be good modelling of surface textures. Things get worse if transparency (e.g. windows) is included, and even worse if the transparent (or perhaps translucent) materials have refracting (e.g.lens) properties. This can be done, but is probably in many cases "fake".

For example, consider a beer glass with an engraving on the outside. Inside the beer glass the engraving will appear reversed. That plus the effects of looking through one or more layers of glass present difficult problems for modelling. Magnifying glasses and clock faces may also present problems, though there are some Blender models which give a reasonable effect.

Another difficult area would be for optical devices, such as prisms. White light will be split into coloured components if passed through a prism. I doubt that many optical modelling systems go this far, so producing an effect to make it look as though a prism is splitting light into coloured parts will again have to be simulated - or perhaps a section of video of a real prism used as a layer.

35 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

For basic 3D modelling I recommend vectary.com - for quick doodling is perfect, very easy to get grasp of it and with bit of patience you can create pretty advanced designs. And best of all it imoprts svg's which then can be modeled in 3D. Really great tool . But it's online only.

Definitely I would pay money for something like this, but as desktop app with few more features (lightning control, some texturing, etc.) 

So, Affinity, maybe there's something to do here? You guys have done great job with simplyfying advanced drawing/photo software, so why not 3D next?

For the reason I stated previously on this thread. 

So, Affinity, maybe there's something to do here? You guys have done great job with simplyfying advanced drawing/photo software, so why not 3D next?

If you're on Mac, check out Art Text by Belight Software. https://www.belightsoft.com/art-text/

They have for Windows but Mac version is far ahead at the moment. I rarely do 3d texts but when I need it for a poster, I make one in Art Text, and since it’s 3D, it doesn't get pixelated when you copy the image and paste it on Affinity. For general 3d stuff, I recommend that you pick up Blender. There are plenty of tutorials online and if you're only interested in making mockup stuff, then just learn basic modeling and rendering. No need to get into advanced stuff with Blender/3D. At the moment, there are more important features that designers need such as text wrap/distortion etc...