You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all!

I got a serious problem with some jpeg files after importing them. I tried to open a jpeg of a Corona sixpack (no promoting intended) in AP and this happens.

Most parts of the photo are missing and the missing parts are transparent. Any ideas??

The issue is not present if I first open the jpeg in any other software and convert it to .png but I would really like to safe the time bc I work on thousands of photos...

(sorry if a similar issue has already been posted and I missed it)

AFjpegimportissue.JPG

Sure, here you go.

edit: pls note that I am currently using the trial version of AP but I will upgrade to full version later this week.

edit2: also note that this wasn't the only file with which I had this issue. Happened several times already with .jpegs

(property of Anheuser-Busch InBev)

BSP Corona Sixpack jpeg.jpg

14 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @JKCologne,

Welcome to the forum. 

Jpeg does not allow alpha channel, so technically you should not see any transparency. I would really like to see the file. Any chance you can attach it here?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

regarding the alpha channel: somehow I always got a transparent background when opening a jpeg file, which is super convenient for me bc I have to make it transparent anyway...

Take a screenshot of the screen with the layers panel showing.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

41 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Take a screenshot of the screen with the layers panel showing.

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. Here is a screenshot of the layer panel (I switched to english language for your convenience).

You see with the curve path unchecked I got a proper photo with a transparent background.

I suppose there is no way around this to safe time? 

thanks for your help so far!

AFjpegissuelayers.thumb.JPG.8270eee15ee9dd8d9899b82f2207fe26.JPG

7 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Well, if the photo has the clipping path embedded, there's no way our software can ignore it. Have a chat with the images provider. They can disable the clipping masks from their end before exporting the file. 

Yeah I thought so. Thank you very much for the great and quick support! 

Have a nice one, bb

2 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Well, if the photo has the clipping path embedded, there's no way our software can ignore it.

Why not, Gabe? There’s already a Preferences setting to import PSD text as editable text. Couldn’t there similarly be a setting to ignore JPEG clipping paths on import, or at least to hide them by default?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Why not, Gabe? There’s already a Preferences setting to import PSD text as editable text. Couldn’t there similarly be a setting to ignore JPEG clipping paths on import, or at least to hide them by default?

I agree, but that sounds like a topic for the Feature Requests forum :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

that sounds like a topic for the Feature Requests forum :)

It does, doesn't it! I was merely responding to Gabe's assertion, which I took literally:

4 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Well, if the photo has the clipping path embedded, there's no way our software can ignore it.

I should perhaps have read "there's no way" as "there's currently no way" rather than "there's technically no way".

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It does, doesn't it! I was merely responding to Gabe's assertion, which I took literally:

I should perhaps have read "there's no way" as "there's currently no way" rather than "there's technically no way".

I was just about to say this. Currently, in Photo/Designer, there is no option to ignore the clipping paths. I believe it would be a way to implement it, but personally, I don't see this to be a "highly demanded" feature. You don't normally add any paths to jpegs...

1 minute ago, GabrielM said:

I was just about to say this. Currently, there is no option to ignore the clipping paths. I believe it would be a way to implement it, but personally, I don't see this to be a "highly demanded" feature. You don't normally add any paths to jpegs...

You don't add clipping paths to JPEGs, and neither do I, but obviously some people do! They just don't/can't add them in the Affinity apps. All the more reason to have options (which should be enabled by default) to ignore or hide any such paths on import.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Well, if the photo has the clipping path embedded, there's no way our software can ignore it. Have a chat with the images provider. They can disable the clipping masks from their end before exporting the file. 

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

45 minutes ago, owenr said:

In that case, the JPEG importer should ignore clipping paths.

I don't really think it should ignore clipping paths. Options are good for the user.

Placing the jpg does not include the clip.

So it seems that the software's ability to choose to use or ignore already exists??

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You don't add clipping paths to JPEGs, and neither do I, but obviously some people do! They just don't/can't add them in the Affinity apps. All the more reason to have options (which should be enabled by default) to ignore or hide any such paths on import.

Clipping paths/masks are frequently used on JPG's for masking purposes (some stock sites include them as well on product/object shots). You can already add them in Affinity apps as well - check the Export dialog, More button, Convert clips to paths setting (i believe this is already implemented on the Windows version - it is on the Mac).

50 minutes ago, MEB said:

Clipping paths/masks are frequently used on JPG's for masking purposes (some stock sites include them as well on product/object shots). You can already add them in Affinity apps as well - check the Export dialog, More button, Convert clips to paths setting (i believe this is already implemented on the Windows version - it is on the Mac).

My bad. I think this was mentioned fairly recently in another thread, but I'd forgotten all about it! :$ However, I still think there should be import options for this.

Alfred spacer.png

I am not certain whether there should be an option in Preferences for discarding/retaining clip paths. They are easy enough to enable, disable, or delete.

As for myself, many of the images I receive are jpg or tiffs with multiple clip paths...Sometimes I I have need to use one or more of the paths to display different aspects of the image. And sometimes I don't so I just shut them off.