You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Next Beta

It's great to see new betas coming out on a regular basis. If you'd like to get more feedback from your testers, I'd suggest putting import features at the top of your roadmap. My understanding is that you plan to support opening Illustrator and Freehand (yay!!) files directly. The ability to open a multi-page document from either of those apps without converting them to PDF/SVG/EPS first (or even just changing the file extension from .ai to .pdf, which often works for Sketch) I think would really increase the likelihood that someone would give the beta a try to make quick edits in the middle of their daily workflow. Otherwise, it's a matter of setting aside separate time and/or committing to starting a new project from scratch in a pre-release app. Affinity has the potential to be the modern equivalent of Freehand that I and many others have been waiting for for many years. Looking forward to the next beta!

• Staff

Hi Jason, 

The next beta might be of interest to you, for two quite relevant reasons ;)

Truth is though, some things take longer than others to do - so it's hard for us to deliver features in the order people care about them. They end up getting added when they're done.

Thanks,

AndyS

I am really counting on Affinity to be able to properly import complicated .ai images. I've got a particular file that I paid for and downloaded from one of the image studios and I have no graphic tools that can properly handle the import. It's most likely a z-order issue but I'm not certain about that. This will be the first file I test when that functionality appears in the beta. 

It's great to see new betas coming out on a regular basis. If you'd like to get more feedback from your testers, I'd suggest putting import features at the top of your roadmap. My understanding is that you plan to support opening Illustrator and Freehand (yay!!) files directly. The ability to open a multi-page document from either of those apps without converting them to PDF/SVG/EPS first (or even just changing the file extension from .ai to .pdf, which often works for Sketch) I think would really increase the likelihood that someone would give the beta a try to make quick edits in the middle of their daily workflow. Otherwise, it's a matter of setting aside separate time and/or committing to starting a new project from scratch in a pre-release app. Affinity has the potential to be the modern equivalent of Freehand that I and many others have been waiting for for many years. Looking forward to the next beta!

Opening and editing PDF's is a must for me.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn