walt.farrell

Affinity Photo (for Windows) Help refers to "Finder"

11 posts in this topic

I just noticed that the Affinity Photo Help on Windows refers to Finder, which is a Mac-only function. For Windows it should refer to File Explorer instead.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, Fall Creators Update, 16.0GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104

The Help for Affinity Photo refers to both Explorer and Finder, but the Help for Affinity Designer only refers to Finder. I think it should simply be called "Explorer" throughout, since Windows 7 still uses the old name "Windows Explorer" instead of "File Explorer".

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.4.104) • Affinity Photo (1.6.4.104) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 iOS 11.3 (iPad Air 2)

There may be places that refer to Explorer, but there are several places that refer only to Finder, which a Windows-only user would find confusing.

Good point about Windows 7 vs Windows 10, but I'm not convinced that Explorer is sufficient. Perhaps Window's Explorer (with the possessive s) would work. But my main concern is not with precisely how the Affinity team solves it, so long as they get rid of the Mac terminology (or at least expand it to include some Windows terminology in the places that are Mac-only at the moment in the Windows help file :) ).

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, Fall Creators Update, 16.0GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There may be places that refer to Explorer, but there are several places that refer only to Finder, which a Windows-only user would find confusing.

Speaking of confusion, when I said:

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

The Help for Affinity Photo refers to both Explorer and Finder

I didn’t mean both at the same time! All I meant was that when I searched for each word I found both in the Help for APh, unlike the Help for AD where Explorer wasn’t mentioned at all. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

walt.farrell likes this

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.4.104) • Affinity Photo (1.6.4.104) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Hi chaps,

I've fixed this for in-app Photo help; affinity.help will be updated in due course.

Sorry no idea when the next Beta update will be available, but the help will be updated in that version.

AndyC

Chris B and Alfred like this

Thanks, Andy! I know that this thread is nominally about the Help for Affinity Photo, but please note that the Help for Affinity Designer needs fixing as well.

Alfred online2long.gif

31 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thanks, Andy! I know that this thread is nominally about the Help for Affinity Photo, but please note that the Help for Affinity Designer needs fixing as well.

Anything in particular regarding Designer? I had a quick look for Mac references and didn't find anything of note. 

16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Anything in particular regarding Designer? I had a quick look for Mac references and didn't find anything of note. 

I’m going by what I posted late last night (or rather, early this morning!) so I may well have got it wrong, but to recap:

13 hours ago, Alfred said:

The Help for Affinity Photo refers to both Explorer and Finder, but the Help for Affinity Designer only refers to Finder.

Alfred online2long.gif

Hm, not seeing it. I'll put some time aside when I get chance and have a proper look. I only compared two or three articles such as 'Place images'. Thanks Alfred. 

32 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m going by what I posted late last night (or rather, early this morning!) so I may well have got it wrong

I've just checked, and I'm getting the same search results now as I did then. Please see the attached screenshots.

Note that in the footnotes to the section on import and export file formats it says:

For a comprehensive up-to-date list of RAW file support, please see the following links:

IMNSHO there should be no mention of Mac here in the Help for the Windows version (and no mention of Windows in the corresponding Help topic for the Mac version). The link to an Apple support page seems particularly out of place.

The section about the Media Browser should also be removed.

AD_Help-Explorer.png

AD_Help-Finder.png

AD_Help-Finder_Open-docs-and-images.png

AD_Help-Finder_Media-Browser.png

AD_Help-Finder_Import-and-export.png

Chris B likes this

Alfred online2long.gif