You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blend two two variations of the same image in order to control background blur

I have two variants of the same photo; the first image is of a Barred Owl against an extremely cluttered back ground.  In the second image, I masked the owl and applied a heavy application of Gaussian blur to the background resulting in a sharp owl against a very blurred background. My goal is to merge the two images and blend them, in order to adjust the amount of blur in the final image.  I used to be able to accomplish this in CS6, however I cannot make it happen in Affinity Photo (1.6.7) 

Is there an Affinity Photo tutorial that describes a method to accomplish my goal?

If the two variants started out as exactly the same photo, one with Gaussian blur applied to the background and one without, you can simply paste the sharp version as a new layer on top of the blurred version and then reduce its opacity until the desired amount of the blurred version shows through. For a variable effect over different parts of the image you would obviously need to do some masking.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Been there, done that! Is your method substantially different from what I suggested?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)