You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have just finished following some course tutorials on Udemy's site.  I have successfully used layers and filters to enhance a picture of my wife.  The question I have now is how (step by step) to correctly resize and print this to two different formats - 4x6" and 8x10".  As finished, the photo is 6 layers which I assume I should 'flatten', correct?  It is 6016x3384px or since I am used to inches it is 83.556x47".  It's DPI is 72.  I realize that to get my desired formats that I will have to crop the photo but this is where I am stuck. I plan on printing this myself on an HP photosmart printer.  How do I proceed with this since I have corrected the photo?  Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

Bob

4 minutes ago, BobMoyer said:

It is 6016x3384px or since I am used to inches it is 83.556x47".  It's DPI is 72.

A DPI value of 72 is much too low for quality colour printing. A value of 300 or more is generally recommended, and this would allow you to print your 6016px × 3384px image at any size up to 20" × 11.3".

To crop the photo correctly for printing at 4" × 6" or 8" × 10",  choose the Crop Tool and set a custom aspect ratio of 4:6 or 8:10 as appropriate. When you move or resize the cropping rectangle over the picture, the aspect ratio will remain fixed so that you can concentrate on the composition.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You don't need to flatten it. Just save it with layers.

Make two new documents, one 4 x 6 and one 8 x 10. As Alfred says, keep it at 300 dpi (as shown below).

4x6.thumb.jpg.94bcf6b1fa7d86af639d3d9c57f51fdf.jpg

Go File > Place and position and size the placed document inside the page area. That does it all for you. Crops, sizes, everything.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thank you all for your quick responses.  I will try your suggestions (all of them).  @Alfred:  the crop tool completely confused me.  I saw the presets and tried them but when I selected the whole photo, I expected the overall size to change to the preset 4x6 or 8x10.  After selecting, nothing seemed to change in the photo.  Sorry to be so 'dense' but this fantastic program is just so powerful that I get overwhelmed with all of the options.  Thanks again every one.

Bob

6 minutes ago, BobMoyer said:

I saw the presets and tried them but when I selected the whole photo, I expected the overall size to change to the preset 4x6 or 8x10.  After selecting, nothing seemed to change in the photo.

The Crop Tool doesn't change the size of the photo in any way. It just allows you to select a particular portion of it.

If you choose the 6" × 4" preset and change the mode to 'Custom Ratio', the aspect ratio will be preserved and you'll get a custom ratio of 3:2 (i.e. the same as 6:4); you can then reposition and/or resize the cropping rectangle until it looks right. Having said that, I recommend that you follow @toltec's suggestion.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)