You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turning a figure to marble (almost NSFW)

Hi all, I have this self portrait as sadly-not-up-to-snuff Michelangelo's David and I want to overlay a marble finish on it. I think I could make this happen in Photoshop but I can't work out how to do it in Affinity and I ain't going back to Adobe. As you will see, I have added a layer with marble but I can't make it cover just my body whilst also leaving all the detail in the body. Does that make sense? If anyone has any help to offer I would be very grateful and I hope no one is horribly offended by my image! I have a STAR!! If this is beyond the pale let me know and I'll delete that image since hopefully it might make sense without it.

Phil

PhilRose  0159.jpg

PhilRose  0158.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

You need to make a bump map or use a displacement filter, or try a blend mode, and mask out the background.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Aside from the chest hair, and shades, looks just like "David."

I don't use AP much at all, but here is an offering.

Walt Whitman's death mask, on a black back round. The marble texture added 1st as a soft light blend, and 2nd, slightly resized as a multiply blend. The whole thin adjusted to partially desaturate, because the old plaster mask was yellowed.

WhitmanDeathMask.thumb.jpg.633635d605c042eabd72ff2007399991.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

23 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You need to make a bump map or use a displacement filter, or try a blend mode, and mask out the background.

Unfortunately, displacement filters in APh are badly broken at the moment. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Eeek. This is all getting above my knowledge threshold. Bump maps? Displacement filters? Gah. Will have to look into all this. Thanks to all though. If anyone wants to flesh out some techniques that would be very useful and would result in much appreciation! And the pic of me gives the lie to my profile pic which was taken in about 1988!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

will e be able to do this, who nose...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Do you think we have gone off topic again lol, anyway, I vote for Phil to have a whole body wax ;) you can't get a good marble overlay with Barracuda chest hair.

You may notice it is thinker at top than bottom. This is because I was shaved to have my gallbladder out. Half grown back. You ain't seen the half of my hairniness!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Phil_rose

re: NSFW

Don't worry.:)

Your clothing options are perfectly suitable for work.

Although admittedly here in our office we rarely dress quite so formally unless we're meeting clients.

R

P.S.   Incidentally, for next year's calendar we're still missing a few images. As you've already made the effort to finish off your outfit with a star, will you be happy for us to pop you on top of the Xmas tree for December?O.o

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

Turn your image Colour Format  into LAB( Document->Colour format->Lab) , select your image with the figure,

click on the Blendranges button/cog symbol, change from Master to Lightness and edit the Blend ranges  to decide on how the Source and underneath layers are going to affect each other on showing the marble.
Adding a Highpass can make the Colours stronger.

forgot to write; create a mask for the body.9wYxqKI.jpg

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

This shows a similar technique to overlay onto skin, Lol, a fig leaf may have been more appropriate xD

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/