You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overall Performance Improvements

Hello Affinity Team,

I am running a Windows 10 Computer with a Core i7 CPU and 16GB of RAM. Usually not having issues with performance, but Affinity eats a huge amount of RAM and Performance, oftern making me wait. I've seen a lot of people in the forum having the same issue. So improvement in this area is crucial! Having to wait a couple of minutes to switch a persona is not acceptable. I often need to kill the affinity process and reload the file to be able to continue to work without tone mapping or other sophisticated functions.

Kind regards

Sebastian

On 4/16/2018 at 8:23 PM, Fatih19 said:

Can you list your processor and RAM specs in more details?

The OP posted the specs. Now what?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

13 hours ago, Basti said:

Hi,

System Info says:

Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.81GHz
16 GB RAM

Kind regards

Sebastian

Thats weird. I have a core i3-4010U 1.7 GHz and 4 GB of RAM and Affinity (Designer, i dont use Photo) works fine.

4 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Thats weird.

The performance problem mostly not depends on the CPU / RAM itself, but on the GPU, its drivers, and other OS components.

And neither the OS type is specified in the query :-)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

The performance problem mostly not depends on the CPU / RAM itself, but on the GPU, its drivers, and other OS components.

And neither the OS type is specified in the query :-)

I use Windows 10 pro with integrated Intel HD 4400. I think he is talking about Affinity Photo and not Designer tho, so I can't confirm anything. 

So, another useless thread pretending to help but in the end actually helpless.

First off, GPU has nothing to do with Affinity products. Whoever spends time on this forum *should* know that.

Second off, asking for specs only to compare to what one is using is a little naive, there's no real comparison that can be made here.

Each configuration will behave differently and to date, there's no proof of what will perform better.

Lastly, Affinity's performance has been a plague and this won't be fixed in a short time period.
Tests have been made with different configurations, from win7x64 to win10, from Intel to AMD, (again, GPU is irrelevant), with no clue about what can be the cause of the bad performance.
Not to mention, the different type of use one does of Affinity Photo: basic editing based on HD image size? heavy editing on 4k to 8k? Live filters yes/no?

It's a hard nut to crack. Personally, I'm not optimistic at all, considered the other things Serif is focusing on.
So, again, threads like this are pretty much useless.
When a user posts this type of question, the most logical answer would be "We don't know".
Unless, all of a sudden, a developer finally untangle it.

Edit: @Basti Either use the software as is, which in your case as in mine is far from being perfect or don't use it at all (I don't use it anymore). It's clear this situation won't get better anytime soon, the devs have other priorities on their plate, so don't hold your breath. As you already noticed, this is not a new issue and is not related to a few users. Good luck.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch