postmadesign

Can't create shortcuts with modifiers

Hi,

I had this problem in the last Beta as well: I can not create new shortcuts with modifier keys in AD latest version! I do NOT have this option checked in the preferences window, so it makes no sense. Shortcuts are very important in my workflow, so not being able to set them up as I require them, is really annoying and costs a lot of time. 

I hope you have a fix for this bug soon

System info: I am using El Capitan on a 2011 iMac

Hey postmadesign,

Can you give me 2 or 3 examples of what shortcuts you are trying to implement? I need to know the category you're adding the shortcut to and what keys you are pressing.

Could you also confirm what locale you are using and what your keyboard input is set to. I can then replicate your environment and see if there is a general issue here.

It does not matter in which category, but for example I treid to change the create Bold option for text from CMD + B to CMD + SHIFT + B, as this is the same as adobe software I am used to: No cigar, it just gives me a B but no modifier. I use a lot of shortcuts in programs like indesign and clip studio paint. It would be useful if I can create shortcuts that do the same in multiple programs. As this should normally work in Affinity, I guess this is a bug, which was in the Beta as well (I reported this, but no reaction...)

Also when trying to reset the shortcuts the program crashed once.

Hi, I have to bump this thread as I just can't add any keyboard shortcuts with modifiers to either AP or AD on my Mac. This is really frustrating as these shortcuts are essential to my workflow. Any news on this subject?? 

Hi postmadesign,

I'm replying to this thread to keep all the discussion together as Chris B has already tried to help (he is off this week so won't have seen your reply on Tuesday). He asked a few questions regarding your locale which you didn't answer, however going by your location I presume it is German with a German keyboard?

I've tried this myself and cannot reproduce the problem - see attached video. Do you have any kind of software running at the top right that relates to the keyboard or anything such as that? Have you tried clicking the 'Reset' button on the Keyboard Shortcut dialog and then trying? Note this will get rid of any other shortcuts you have previously created.

Thank you for the reply Sean, I will give it a try. What kind of apps would relate to the keyboard as such? I have the cloud services, Alfred, scroll reverser, but I don't think any of these relate to the keyboard.

I am indeed using a Mac with a german keyboard, but with the application language set to english. I have tried german, but this does not change anything regarding shortcuts. To make things more complicated though, my OSX is in dutch... But this did not give me problems with any app except Affinity. Also, the shortcuts that are there work as they should.

Hi Postmadesign,

Looking up Alfred it says the following: "Alfred is an award-winning app for Mac OS X which boosts your efficiency with hotkeys"

I would definitely suggest first disabling/removing this as it is specifically looking for some kind of keyboard input for hotkeys and could be interfering with the Affinity. 

Just want to say THANK YOU!!! This was exactly my problem: couldn't use modifier keys when trying to rekey shortcuts, and AD crashed while in the shortcuts dialog. I was running Hej Stylus v2.0.2 and quitting it instantly fixed the problem. If I upgrade to Hej Stylus v3 I'll be interested to see if this persists; I also wonder if this affects Affinity Photo as well.