You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Achieve Ripple effect similar to photoshop

Hello All,

New user here struggling with the conversion from Photoshop to Affinity Photo.

I work for an architectural practice and use Photoshop to soften the export from our CAD software when preparing site layouts. This is achieved by using the a 50% ripple filter to make it look a little more "hand drawn". I've attached the base image before and after applying the effect in Photoshop and an example of the final image.

Is this effect achievable in Affinity and any thoughts and comments welcomed?

Cheers

Chris

Photoshop Image.jpg

Final Image.jpg

Original Image.jpg

There is a ripple filter in Affinity Photo under Filters > Distort > Ripple but it acts like ripples in a pond.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've always liked Sketchup for the line styles that can be achieved with these sort of drawings. Would be nice if Affinity had a feature like that built in. You could always create some pencil styled brushes and use them as strokes or just buy some and get that authentic sketched look. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

37 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I've always liked Sketchup for the line styles that can be achieved with these sort of drawings. Would be nice if Affinity had a feature like that built in. You could always create some pencil styled brushes and use them as strokes or just buy some and get that authentic sketched look. 

That's why I'm surprised it isn't a native feature in Affinity, given how simple it is in PS! 

Use the following settings in the Equations Filter

The last number (0.005) controls the strength of the Ripples, you only need very small changes

You could easily create a macro for this and change the 0.005 into variable "A" to give controllable (via a slider) ripple effects for different sized documents

ripples.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 minutes ago, chris_homer said:

Would it be possible to convert the 200 in both equations into another slider?

See attached, the 200 has been increased to 400 and is controlled by the B slider

at 50% in the slider it will be 200

slider3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

With all due respect to @carl123's equations..... seriously, it's amazing what he does with them (I wouldn't know where to begin).

A) The point of the wiggles is to humanize the drawing right? To "warm it up" from sterile straight lines.

With that in mind I find (imho) the equation squiggles to be too ordered and regular. The diagonals look okay because you get cross pollination from both equations which delivers a nice randomization.

B) Equations are destructive. So it goes without saying, with any change to the drawing the whole thing will need to be re-equationed ;). Like you said, a macro can help.

Instead, I'd just use a noisy displacement. (use the load from file option)

5ad4d8496a9f5_ScreenShot2018-04-16at12_56_26PM.thumb.png.b466684b4b7ac659c833a70ac8c42735.png

You can make your own (my layer on top in the attached).

Or grab one of the hundreds online. (Google: "noise displacement map" or "noise bump map")

I threw in several different options.

You can adjust each or combine different ones all while preserving the editability of the drawing (I assume the cad files come in as vectors).

**attached is kinda big**

arch_lines_displace.afphoto

22 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Instead, I'd just use a noisy displacement. (use the load from file option)

23 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

You can make your own (my layer on top in the attached).

Or grab one of the thousands online. I threw in several different options.

You can adjust each or combine different ones all while preserving the editability of the drawing (I assume the cad files come in as vectors).

I am quite happy with the Equations Filters. You could give @carl123's equations a pseudo-random appearance by adding another sine curve with a longer wavelength that is not a simple multiple of the existing one.

What I could not do is add a noisy displacement. I tried looking for one, but was only offered electronic equiplmemt. Is it some form of displacement mapping?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

47 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

What I could not do is add a noisy displacement. I tried looking for one, but was only offered electronic equiplmemt. Is it some form of displacement mapping?

John

Hi John, yeah, sorry, the word "map" helps xD. (I'll amend my post above)

Google:

noise displacement map

or

noise bump map

or (maybe to a slightly lesser extent)

noise height map

Each result should lead to, in many cases, a site that offers even more.

• 3 years later...

Youtuber 'Graphical' made a videotutorial for this effect.

He uses this equation:

x = x+(1500*c)*sin((1500*b)*y/h)*(0.01*a)

y = y+(1500*c)*sin((1500*b)*x/w)*(0.01*a)

Sadly i dont understand any of these mathematical formulas - how comes there are so many variations in this thread, to get to the same result ?

12 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

If you use Affinity Photo on Windows, you can also give the free G'MIC plugin a try. There is a Ripples filter in the Deformations category. And more than 500 other filters for nearly all needs.

have been using G'MIC for ages - great filter !

but sadly it distorts the whole image, not just the edges, like the PS filter does

2 hours ago, ESPR said:

have been using G'MIC for ages - great filter !

but sadly it distorts the whole image, not just the edges, like the PS filter does

What "edges" do you mean? Don't remember exactly what Photoshop's "Ripples" filter does, but GMIC's filter distorts the selected layer, not the whole image.

And I can't see a difference between the effect of the Equation filter in the video and the Ripples filter of G'MIC. Both are destructive, but the one of G'MIC is a little more intuitive and easier, I think.

An alternative could possibly be G'MIC's "Water" filter.