You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize object relative to another

I need to be able to resize a group of objects. One of the objects I know exactly the size I want and I would like to other to resize proportionately. For example, say I have a square and circle and I like their proportions. Now I want to resize the square to 1cm x 1cm and I would like the circle to resize as well. The only way I can seem to do this is by just resizing the group and then going back and checking the size of the square. I'm sure there has to be a better way.

Any help would be great!

• Staff

Hi Superadam,

There is no way to resize one object relative to another you would have to use the work around that you have already discovered.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

An interesting question

If the circle is smaller than the square and placed inside the square you can select both and resize to 1cm by 1cm and the circle will resize proportionately (see screenshot)

Using the above logic let's say you have a square, in your group,  5cm x 5cm that you want to resize to 1cm by 1cm

Create a new square proportionately larger than the grouped objects, let's use 50cm by 50cm

Place it below your group and select it and your group together, now resize the new square to 1/5th it's size (10cm) and your original square should now be resized to exactly 1cm x 1cm and all other objects in the group resized proportionally.

I think that will work but I have only had one coffee this morning so still not fully awake as yet

square.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

this way the resizing Works, but all objects would lose their position.

might need that seccond coffee :)

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

If the objects need to remain at their positions, it can be done via transform dialogue and equations. Do the math for the percent the square needs to be resized. Set transform point to center. Enter percent, proceed to each object in turn, and repeat. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

An interesting situation.

I've added options for adjusting the selection box. This allows you to redefine what you are moving when you do scale and shear.  Currently, that goes through a list of boxes that bound the entire selection, and align to the page, or the common transform of the selected objects.  Up until now, no one has asked to make the selection box relative to a shape within the selection, so I'd never given it any thought.   Such an option would complicate things more, and so I'd have to consider how this could be added without compromising what we already have.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB