Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m on an iPad Pro 1st generation, and there is a delay for a fraction of a second after I begin painting before the line starts to appear on the screen. This makes it really difficult to use this program - I’m sure it’s a quick fix bc once the line starts to appear on screen, it is perfectly synced with the location of the pencil tip and also very responsive with no lag. There seems to be a constant delay before the program registers input from either the pencil or my finger. It’s the only problem I’ve had so far, but it’s kind of a deal-breaker. Please advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jag said:

I’m on an iPad Pro 1st generation, and there is a delay for a fraction of a second after I begin painting before the line starts to appear on the screen. This makes it really difficult to use this program - I’m sure it’s a quick fix bc once the line starts to appear on screen, it is perfectly synced with the location of the pencil tip and also very responsive with no lag. There seems to be a constant delay before the program registers input from either the pencil or my finger. It’s the only problem I’ve had so far, but it’s kind of a deal-breaker. Please advise.

Probably due to the Apple Pencil (it’s recognised with a delay at first time use ...). I have the same problem (even with other apps) ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jag,

 

Does the delay continue after the initial stroke? When you make a new document and make a stroke, it creates a Pixel layer which can cause a slight delay but after that, it's fine for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

At least for me, the delay is not only on first stroke, nor is it a general problem with Apple Pencil.  See my reply to this other thread.

 

Cheers,

Peter

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed this too, though it hasn't caused me any major issues. It's a bit annoying but I guess I'm used it now. For the record, this does not happen in other apps as far as I can tell, but I don't have a ton to test. In Procreate this problem does not exist, at least for me. iPad Pro 10.5".

 

Will be following...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on an iPad Pro 2nd generation (2018), and there is a delay for a fraction of a second after I begin painting before the line starts to appear on the screen. Its very difficult to draw in this way. I also use Procreate and it works like a dream. Please advise, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does AP read these forums? This issue haa been around for a long time. Years, in fact. And it hasn’t been fixed. This is such a basic functionality problem. No other Apps have this issue for me. Yes this app is priced well, but this glitch makes an otherwise fantastic piece of software useless. I do very detailed drawing in combination with photography, which is why I bought this. I am not getting what I paid for. The desktop app is fantastic...When will there be a fix for this small but essential problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you enable 'Show Touches' from Preferences and record a video of the input lag please? It might be worth opening your Brush Studio so we can see the settings you are using for the brushes too.

I've got Procreate and Affinity Photo and they both put the stroke down as soon as my finger or the Apple Pencil hit the canvas. We have thousands of users and we only have occasional pockets of users who are reporting the lag. The more visual evidence and feedback we can get, the better chance we have to address this for those of you who are being affected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Macmonkey,

The video clearly displays what you're all referring to. On a 300-600 dpi document I can get a delay but it's so small, it's almost not worth mentioning. In the video, it seems to be much worse than what I'm seeing.
 

I noticed that you're also getting dots instead of strokes on occasion—this I am able to reproduce more easily than the delay. We have a log of this already so I've sent a query to dev. I'll update the thread once I have some more info.

Update

I have just tried this on an internal build of Designer iPad and I'm happy to report that it is working like a charm—this means, once Designer for iPad is released the fix will make its way to Photo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Thanks Macmonkey,

The video clearly displays what you're all referring to. On a 300-600 dpi document I can get a delay but it's so small, it's almost not worth mentioning. In the video, it seems to be much worse than what I'm seeing.
 

I noticed that you're also getting dots instead of strokes on occasion—this I am able to reproduce more easily than the delay. We have a log of this already so I've sent a query to dev. I'll update the thread once I have some more info.

Update

I have just tried this on an internal build of Designer iPad and I'm happy to report that it is working like a charm—this means, once Designer for iPad is released the fix will make its way to Photo. 

Thanks chris, that's great news!! Is there an official (or ball park)  release date for designer on iOS yet :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Macmonkey said:

Is there an official (or ball park)  release date for designer on iOS yet :)

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ What Alfred linked to :)

Just as an FYI—I wasn't implying that the day Designer is released for iPad is the day the fix will also make it to Photo. I was just trying to say that I imagine it won't be long after... just not immediately after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.