You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tab order in Transform panel

Hi guys.

Maybe this has been mentioned before elsewhere, but I find the Tab shortcut behaviour on the Transform panel to be complete nonsense.

The field selection order shouldn't be an absurd from left to right, top to bottom (i.e. X position > Width > Y Position > Height), but instead a more logical from top to bottom, left to right (i.e. X position > Y position > Width > Height).

The way it is, it feels a bit broken whenever you feel the need to manually input values. And it should't take you more than changing a line or two of code to fix it, so… maybe you could do that for the next release? Thanks!

Edit #1: Even though the “constrain proportions” link-thingy button is, indeed, selectable via tab (and, very logically so if I may add, after all the others), I just noticed that the Rotate and Skew fields aren't. Also, having the “Tab to hide the Studio” shortcut activated instead of cycling from the last field back to the first one doesn't make much sense and isn't very friendly, IMHO.

Edit #2: I've just noticed another thing: In fact, the Rotate and Skew fields are indeed selectable via Tab. And you can tab from the Skew field to… the X position field?? This means that even though those two fields are visually on the bottom part of the panel, if we consider the whole “Tab to hide the Studio” thing, they seem to be coded as if they were on top. Which actually makes it a bug/error/oversight on your part, oopsy-daisy. But the best solution would be to not only change the ordering and getting rid of that cycle-breaking behaviour; that way, it wouldn't really make any difference.

Edit #3: It gets even weirder still. If you press Shift-Tab instead of Tab, you can infinitely cycle backwards (as it should be, anyway) through the panel fields… So, did you actually hard-code that break when tabbing regularly on purpose?

Pressing tab or shift tab does nothing here. I'm not sure about the position of the boxes in the transform tab but I do agree that it's much easier to use the tab key to change fields rather than the mouse. That would apply to the Document Setup dialogoe box, the Character & Paragraph dialogoe boxes, and anywhere else that numbers are to be input.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM