Kronpano

HDR tonemapping leaves visible seam on 360 panorama

The tonemap persona leaves a visible seam if you tonemap any 360 HDR or HDRI panoramic image.
Previous errors raised (6 month ago) got some reassurances that 360 and HDR handling would be improved but so far I can't see that.
Anybody any idea if there are any plans to improve 360 handling?

Cheers.

Hey Kronpano,

The EXR sample I used is causing some serious rendering issues but it sounds like it might be different to what you are seeing. Any chance you can attach a sample or provide a link to one?

Here is an example screen shot of the seam of a tone-mapped panorama. 
On the left you can see the vertical seam in the sky after coming out of the tone-mapping of the HDR panorama
On the right the original HDR 360 file shows no seam at all.

Problem is that HDR tone mapping is doing local changes (microcontrast...) not just global ones. That needs to be handled by the HDR program - it needs to be aware that the right and left side of the image actually belong together.
But that still doesn't seem to be the case in Affinity.   

2018-04-16_124448.jpg

Here is a smaller version of that file.
If you go to https://hdrihaven.com/ there are many HDR 360 files available for free.
The more extreme the tonemapping is in terms of microcontrast (local contrast) the more obvious the seam will be - which should not happen - and does not happen if the tonemapping is aware that it is dealing with a 360 panorama.

green_point_park_2k.hdr

Hey Kronpano,

I was using that site, however I wasn't using a Tone Map with enough of a contrast change. I've reproduced this now. I can log an improvement request with the dev team for you. Thanks. 

IS there any Follow-up on this? It's been nearly a year since this thread and 2 years since it was first raised. I bough Affinity specifically because it said on the main site 

360° image editing
Pan and zoom around 360° images, using the full suite of tools in Affinity Photo to edit them live."

And yet it turns out the ToneMap and Develop personas ar not 360 aware and are incompatible. Not pleased.... 

I haven't heard anything and given up on HDR for 360 in Affinity.
Main reasons 
- it is NOT 360 aware so leaves seams and
- it is so slow compare to other HDR programs

But yes - not pleased either but hey - the projection mode is quite nice to fix the nadir.

I ended up buying Photomatix last night which produces excellent results almost instantly. the batch mode is incredible and can process entire tours faster than Affinity could process 1 photo. 

The projection mode IS useful for Nadir patching but "touch retouch" on iOS is so much faster and easier and produces astonishing results and it costs just 2 quid. 

I've always been against "mobile workflows" and felt PC should produce better results but I've just completed a 17 photo (admittedly simple) tour entirely on mobile, without a single frustration, faster than Affinity could process 3 photos. 

I bought Affinity today because I want to develop 360° images and run in the same problem. Now I see it's such an old problem. Can a fix be expected soon or do I need to look for an alternative?

Yes well hey - the years go by but no word on ANY improvement for 360s
Haven't heard anything from the Affinity team about it since the "improvement request" was logged

On 4/17/2018 at 1:38 PM, Chris B said:

Hey Kronpano,

I was using that site, however I wasn't using a Tone Map with enough of a contrast change. I've reproduced this now. I can log an improvement request with the dev team for you. Thanks. 

one and a half years ago!!!!
And I found out it is not just HDR

Add a live filter layer -> sharpen -> clarity   and wack it full up.
Inside Affinity with the layer projection it looks all fine but as soon as you export it there will be a seam.

No, not good for 360. 

The report I made was recently closed as the developers believe this is not something they would be able to fix I'm afraid. It was suggested to use other tools to remove the seam. I've had a quick go and the Inpainting tool does a good job of removing the problematic seam and I managed to clear it in a single attempt.

Sorry but removing the seam is completely besides the point.
if you have a 360 image and the seam goes right through a patterned wall I would want to use any tool to fix a problem which shouldn't be there in the first place for a 360 aware program.

So basically you are saying that for 360 editing as in HDR/clarity/local contrast ..... Affinity is NOT useful

Very disappointing and - in a way false advertising

just as an aside 
There is quite an "easy" way to make 360 image editing work in any program
- import the image
- make the canvas 20% wider and add 10% of the image to each side again - it's a 360 - it wraps around so you can just do that with the offset tool
- make whatever changes you want
- crop it back so you get your 2:1 image out of the middle leaving the 10% on each side
    because any change made had the correct "neighbours" there will be no seam

You can do that as with macro in most image editing programs but again - it should not be needed for a 360 aware program and you are saying the developers can't fix it???

Well hey - so much for Affinity then for 360 editing.

Hi @Kronpano, I'd be interested to know if these macros solve any issues for you: http://jamesritson.co.uk/downloads/macros/jr_360.zip

On macOS, you can drag-drop them straight into Affinity Photo and it will automatically import them and open the Library panel. On Windows, you'll need to open the Library panel manually (View>Studio>Library) then click the top right icon and Import Macros.

There are four macros:

• Tone Map SDR (seam aware)
  • Local Contrast (seam aware)
  • Clarity (seam aware)
  • Inpaint alpha (transparent) areas

I've tested on a variety of imagery from HDRI Haven, HDR Labs, some customer files and my own 360 images. By and large, the three seamless macros will work very well. The only problematic one may be Clarity, in which case you'll end up with a seam that runs through 1/4 of the edge rather than all the way around, so it's much easier to retouch.

I have found that Clarity in particular may also expose any existing stitching errors that usually wouldn't be obvious without heavy pixel modification, so bear that in mind as well.

Hope the above helps!

Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Looking for a manual/documentation? Check affinity.help for online help!

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more

OK, had a bit more of a play with the macros to prevent seams in 360 editing and tried to come up with my own.

Using equations I do x*1.25 - w*0.125 first (squish and shift into middle) in wrap mode (fills the remainder of the image)
Do the clarity (or anything else)
Reverse the image deformation (x*0.8 + w*0.125)

this works quite fine BUT when the image deformation will squish and stretch the pixels - which means I loose information when stretching the "middle" part to fill the image.
Don't like that.

Tried to do it "the proper" way - extend the canvas by 20%, fill right and left 10% with the un-squished image parts .....
BUT
it seems that can't be done in a macro for any image size because the canvas resize does not accept an expression but will work on pixel values :( 
That means a macro without squishing and extending pixels will only work for a certain image size 

It's a start but not ideal.
Perhaps something with unclip canvas is possible - like - add 10% to the right and left, unclip canvas to show all, apply clarity and clip tho get the middle back??

Well hey - will keep on trying.

OK, couldn't do it myself - some rounding errors I couldn't get rid of but @carl123 has very helpfully provided a macro which does exactly what I wanted

It extends the canvas by 10% on each side and fills it correctly.
Now you will have a panorama which is not a 2:1 ratio any more - it is wider by 10% on each side and has the correct neighbours for each edge.
Any clarity, local contrast, tonemap operation can be done with this file.
After you are done just go to Document->Resize Canvas - uncheck the proportional resize, put in the original size for the width and position it in the middle 
The "cropped" image will again have a 2:1 ratio and NO seam!!!!!

See - wasn't that difficult - well considering that should be build in it was but there is now a workaround using his macro.
Thanks again to carl123!!

Just to finish it - the macros works perfectly - HDR tone mapping, clarity, local contrast all works fine.
I posted a full panorama on kuula - 5 exposures from 1/6s to 2.5s - HDR merged, tone mapped, tripod removed and finishing all done in Affinity.

So you can do it all in Affinity photo - you just need to jump through some hoops but frankly - it's not that bad running a macro once and resizing the canvas back at the end. 

AffinityHDR_tonemap.jpg