Kronpano

HDR tonemapping leaves visible seam on 360 panorama

7 posts in this topic

The tonemap persona leaves a visible seam if you tonemap any 360 HDR or HDRI panoramic image.
Previous errors raised (6 month ago) got some reassurances that 360 and HDR handling would be improved but so far I can't see that.
Anybody any idea if there are any plans to improve 360 handling?

Cheers.

Hey Kronpano,

The EXR sample I used is causing some serious rendering issues but it sounds like it might be different to what you are seeing. Any chance you can attach a sample or provide a link to one?

Here is an example screen shot of the seam of a tone-mapped panorama. 
On the left you can see the vertical seam in the sky after coming out of the tone-mapping of the HDR panorama
On the right the original HDR 360 file shows no seam at all.

Problem is that HDR tone mapping is doing local changes (microcontrast...) not just global ones. That needs to be handled by the HDR program - it needs to be aware that the right and left side of the image actually belong together.
But that still doesn't seem to be the case in Affinity.   

2018-04-16_124448.jpg

Can you attach the original file so I can send this to development? I want them to be able to apply the Tone Mapping themselves. 

Here is a smaller version of that file.
If you go to https://hdrihaven.com/ there are many HDR 360 files available for free.
The more extreme the tonemapping is in terms of microcontrast (local contrast) the more obvious the seam will be - which should not happen - and does not happen if the tonemapping is aware that it is dealing with a 360 panorama.

green_point_park_2k.hdr

Hey Kronpano,

I was using that site, however I wasn't using a Tone Map with enough of a contrast change. I've reproduced this now. I can log an improvement request with the dev team for you. Thanks.