You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Overtime (First ever finished vector drawing)

syfpsy

Hello everyone!

I've been working as a motion designer for 10+ years and I used Illustrator as a side software, mainly for pulling out usable bits from stock vectors to use in After Effects. Both Illustrator and Photoshop got bulkier and less responsive as they age, so I got used to drawing inside After Effects using the limited tools it has. Tried my luck in drawing with Illustrator a few times over the years to no avail, I don't have a single finished artwork from it.

Luckily I saw one of the artists Serif commissioned while I was searching for some inspiration for my upcoming self project. I checked his other artworks, read the interview about Affinity Designer, then read some more  reviews and user comments from Reddit. Installed trial, everything was buttery smooth and so much practical in comparison. Price was a bargain but it was even more so with the regional pricing in Microsoft Store, so I ended up buying it the next day.

Long story short, I finished this piece yesterday for my debut illustration in Dribbble. I know it is not much and I definitely got influenced by the initial artworks where I discovered AD, but know that I'm an animator who couldn't draw a proper looking vector piece before. Really looking forward to drawing more in AD. I just wish there was a straightforward solution for importing inside After Effects with layers, just like the .ai files.

Keep up the good work Serif!

OverRoad 4_3 v05.png

1 hour ago, Novak said:

I like.... no, love this

Thanks Novak!

35 minutes ago, Bigby said:

Very neat. Looking forward to more illustrations :) 

How long did it take you, by the way?

Finished in two days. I think I've put 8-10 hours into it. Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated :)

I see a lot of vector drawings and they always look good to me. All I know about vectors is that they begin with the letter V.

This picture reminds me of a backdrop to a computer game.

Hey! Maybe you've found a new vocation.

Nice work.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

On 4/17/2018 at 11:26 AM, retrograde said:

There's a nice compositional balance to this with subtle layering of glass and steel flat and angular shapes. Nice use of colour and lighting too. :-)

Now these are great motivation for me to go on. Thanks a lot :)

1 hour ago, peter said:

Like you I have never finished anything in AI. But things are different with AD. Things get done!

Definitely. I wasn't gonna share this here but I was overwhelmed how easy it was on AD compared to AI. I felt that I should underline this somewhere in Affinity forums and I stumbled upon this sub-forum.

9 minutes ago, syfpsy said:

I wasn't gonna share this here

I'm glad you changed your mind! Looking forward to seeing more like this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Nice atmosphere in the drawing. The combination of symmetry and geometric shapes complements the nocturnal hues quite well. In a bit you'll barely remember Adobe if you like AD so much already after working with it for a brief period only. Keep drawing!

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com