You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove doubleclick to undock/dock from tools panel

Working 8 hours a day on Designer for making illustrations last weeks, I noticed a thing I run into a lot of times which is disturbing the workflow a bit and seems easy to fix.

I've setup Designer and Photo to have a 2-column toolspanel (look at attachment). That way I'm having the fill- and border-color-circles visible inside the toolbar at all times to quickly change colors, like I was used to in Adobe software. So I click on a fill- or border-circle to bring it to the actual color selection or doubleclick on it to change its color. Very handy and used a lot.

But if I work fast making illustrations in Designer all day long, a lot of times it happens that I accidentely doubleclick just outside these small color-circle-rings.

Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but in Designer and Photo doubleclicking just outside these circles (or a tool) is causing the toolspanel to undock/float or dock again everytime this happens, 'cause the doubleclick-handler is set to the full toolspanel. So I have to re-dock the panel a lot of times during the day which is distracting and gets really annoying after a while. I think the solution wouldn't be that hard to implement and would make Desiger and Photo an even better product:

solution 1

Add an option to lock the docking of the toolspanel. When this setting is set to locked the panel cannot be undocked. I'd say the the 'Customize Tools'-panel would be a nice place for this setting.

solution 2

No doubleclick at all. Adding the same way of undocking to the toolspanel like being used inside other panels: drag and drop the toolspanels titlebar outside of its dockregion.

solution 3 (my choice)
Adding a 'Tools'-titlebar to the toolspanel (like it is visible already when undocked) and move the doubleclick-handler of the full toolspanel to this titlebar instead. That way the intended behaviour remains but now the toolspanel only toggles docking/undocking when a user doubleclicks on the titlebar. And that only happens when a user really wants it. In my opinion that would be an intuitive place to doubleclick.

Thanks!

toolspanel.JPG