Scraghty

<SOLVED>Eliminate Overlaps for Cutter Machine

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I have a file and some of the stroke outlines are overlapping. When I run the .eps file in the cutter to make stickers it cuts the end points of the stroke that are overlapped. 

How do I connect the diffrent stroke outlines to another inorder to avoide those cuts by the machine. 

There are several overlaps in the image, but one such area would be at the bottom of the A as it overlaps into the L

ALPHA.afdesign

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 1.16.58 PM (2).png

Edited by Scraghty
solved

Hi Scraghty and Welcome to the Forums,

Using the node tool you could move the overlapping nodes up to the line above it.  Not sure how the cutter would handle that, but you'd be manually moving the overlap by moving the nodes, to the line above.  So technically the node is still there but not overlapping.  If there is another method, i'm sure someone will post it shortly :) 

If you have a copy of this file where everything is it's own curve, then you could select the overlapping curves and click Add on the context toolbar and you'd end up with something like the before and after attached screenshots.

Before.png

After.png

I've got to the stage where all the components are separate and on their own curve layer but when I try to add the two curves highlighted the geometry tool hangs see 2. image it stays like that until I force close.

1. Image

5ad470ec8b6ab_ScreenShot2018-04-16at10_46_04.png.77ca84141bdefb1b1cc0f924321130c9.png

2. image

5ad4713e68e10_ScreenShot2018-04-16at10_47_08.png.7f6aaef54c03a3ebb6ecf1f5adc6f244.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.4 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

i placed some shapes above the joints, selected all and a bolean add.

join.png.b38fe8d4f8e254128c0a6fa5bf137536.png

ALPHA.afdesign

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Think Ive done it, made a rough movie of what I did:  ALPHA-no overlaps.afdesign

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.4 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

@dutchshaderDrat you beat me lol

@firstdefence like you did yesterday.

You said that you posted a movie, but it is a afdesign file.

Razer Tartarus Chroma

oops forgot to add it. Actually your solution is much more elegant and simpler but I'll add mine just for the sake of it.

The story so far.mp4

Thank you @firstdefence @dutchshader @stokerg

Dutchshader I havent had a chance to look deeply at yours and understand what you did, but when I switch to outline the lines are still there with the extra ones from the other shapes? 

Firstdefence I need to take a closer look at your video to see exactly what you did, at the end of the video the outline looks exactly what I thought it would look like. When I open the file however the L is completly black. I am unsure how to rectify that. 

Seems i was on the right track the other day, I did have them all on seperat curves at one point but couldnt figure it out from there. 

@Scraghty, it is correct that you see both lines. I did not finnish the file i posted, so you could still see how i did it.

You need to select all layers and do a bolean add

Razer Tartarus Chroma

2 hours ago, Scraghty said:

Thank you @firstdefence @dutchshader @stokerg

Dutchshader I havent had a chance to look deeply at yours and understand what you did, but when I switch to outline the lines are still there with the extra ones from the other shapes? 

Firstdefence I need to take a closer look at your video to see exactly what you did, at the end of the video the outline looks exactly what I thought it would look like. When I open the file however the L is completly black. I am unsure how to rectify that. 

Seems i was on the right track the other day, I did have them all on seperat curves at one point but couldnt figure it out from there. 

I need to make a better video, I had that trouble with AP locking up, the trick was I needed to move all of the shapes over to overlap before I added them together. I was in a bit of a rush when I made the video I uploaded as I was waiting for the concrete mixer; I was laying a shed foundation for my next door neighbour so had to keep checking outside for the mixer lorry lol! I'll make a better one now.

Found a simpler way to do this see the new improved whiter than white video: ScreenFlow.mp4

ALPHA Finished.afdesign ish

@firstdefence

Bingo that is exacly what i was looking for. Wow thanks! I will mark this as solved....and then try to understand what the heck you did to make that happen. Great stuff!