You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Introduction to the problem, not really important)

Hey! I've just been playing around in affinity photo coloring my text with gradients and I decided to give it a 3d feel, so I copied the black text twice, moved the top one a bit on the left, selected the 2nd text and 3rd one (moved to the left) and went to geometric functions to subtract the moved to left part from the copied text essentially creating a 3d side. I used a gradient on the letter and a reversed gradient on the side to give it a real nice 3d feel.

Now, here's the problem;

When I wanted to combine the 2 layers to create a single curves layer I spotted a problem. Affinity wants to keep as many coloring functions still available when the layers are merged and so when I do it using geometric functions (add) one of the parts gets the same gradient as the other one or they both loose color and I can't set them both separate different gradients.

So that's the question;

Is there a way to merge 2 curves/text/element/curve layers, no matter which one with which one to keep all the gradients they had before merging? I found rightclick>geometry>add not working and neither the merge down function so I start getting worried I would need to export the file as svg every time I wanted to merge 2 gradient colored objects to get them as 1.

Any help?

Thanks

Is your explanation correct?  Moving everything to the left keeps them aligned lol! I think you need to clarify your problem. ;)

Trying to merge layers will not work, you can group layers and that will keep any gradients intact, but merging them will destroy the curves individual characteristics.

To group layers just select the layers you want to group, right click and select 'Group'

Sometimes it a good idea to attach the file in question to the post for us to look at or create a file that demonstrates how things are laid out.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions