You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleeding out - pls help (included movie)

I've been really exited to make a switch from Illustrator to Designer but I'm having difficulties with the bleed setting and exports. This is really annoying me big time and it should not be this hard to achieve. I hope I don't have to go back to Illustrator for this.

So I've done the following:

1. Set up a new doc 80mm x 50mm with the bleeding option set to 3mm. So in fact the document should be 83 x 53 mm. 
  2. I now understand that Designer does not show the bleed while in the design process, so I'll try to ignore that (When is it coming?)
  3. Then, when going to PDF export, I turn ON the [Include-bleed] option and turn ON the [Include Printer Marks] (such as cropmarks)
  4. The outcome is a PDF file with cropmarks but no bleed
  5. Then, when going to PDF export, I turn OFF the [Include-bleed] option and turn ON the [Include Printer Marks] (such as cropmarks)
  6. The outcome is a PDF file with cropmarks but no bleed

What am I doing wrong? I created a Youtube vid with this exact problem.

Many thanks for helping!

• Staff

Hi Lupaie,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to extend the backgound element(s) to outside the canvas area (in other words make the coloured rectangle bigger than the canvas to cover the bleed area you set up in your document). So in your case if you set a 3mm bleed the coloured rectangle must have at least 86 x 56mm (which make it extend beyond the canvas) to cover the document area (80mm x 50mm) PLUS the bleed value (3mm) you have set up for your document (for all sides).

If all the artwork is contained inside the canvas/document area then there's nothing to fill the bleed area. The "background/design" elements must extend beyond the canvas for you to see them filing the bleed area on export.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

You have to extend the backgound element(s) to outside the canvas area (in other words make the coloured rectangle bigger than the canvas to cover the bleed area you set up in your document). So in your case if you set a 3mm bleed the coloured rectangle must have at least 86 x 56mm (which make it extend beyond the canvas) to cover the document area (80mm x 50mm) PLUS the bleed value (3mm) you have set up for your document (for all sides).

If all the artwork is contained inside the canvas/document area then there's nothing to fill the bleed area. The "background/design" elements must extend beyond the canvas for you to see them filing the bleed area on export.

I think I tried that, and I just retried, could you check it out? I also tried using an artboard but that makes no difference.

• Staff

Hi Lupaie,

Seems you are doing everything right in the second video assuming you have set the Bleed in the Document Setup as well.

Please launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. After the reset try again? Does it work now?

On 13-4-2018 at 3:04 PM, MEB said:

Hi Lupaie,

Seems you are doing everything right in the second video assuming you have set the Bleed in the Document Setup as well.

Please launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. After the reset try again? Does it work now?

Many thanks! It works fine now. Very odd that I had to reset the program because I just started using it. This was actually my first try out. I hope the devs bring the 'show bleed while designing' option asap too. Thanks again!