You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - SVG Object size (bug)?

Hi,

I've drawn an object in Affinity Designer which has an exact size that I want it to print (respectively cut it in).

In order to do that, I take the file, export it as an SVG file and upload that to my cutter. I first thought that my cutter reads something wrong, cause the size was off - the object was larger than it shoud have been. I work with a document that set to Millimeters instead of inches - if that makes a difference.

Then I imported the object into Inkscape and noticed that the size in the SVG file was actually not correct. So I resized the thing in Inkscape, sent it to the cutter and got the right size. So either I'm doing something wrong in Affinity Designer or there's a bug.

Is that a known issue? Is there a workaround (in Affinity Designer, without the extra step of resizing the object in Inkscape)

Thanks

What software are you using for cutting?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It's a proprietary online thing that's online / web site for my cutter (Glowforge).

I exported also a PDF from Affinity. Then it works perfectly.

What's weird is that the SVG measurements are also off in Inkscape (everything stays relative in size though)

There's an odd behaviour with Designer related to the dpi the document is created at. Make a 300dpi document, and then a 72dpi document - copy paste between them and watch as the object changes size :) Maybe related to what you are seeing? Try creating your document at different dpi settings and see if it changes anything with the output.

• Staff

Hi multivir,

This isn't something we've heard of before, if possible could you provide us with a copy of the .afdesign file? Are you using a preset SVG export option, or your own custom choice?
In regards to the SVG size, is it significantly larger than you were expecting, or only by a small amount?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I've had trouble with SVG and import sizes, I have to export @ 90DPI to get accurate size matches in MTC e.g. Affinity export size is 3in, MTC import size is 2.9967in

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Morning,

I think I've narrowed this down and I will pass on the information to our developers. In the meantime, I'd recommend exporting at 96DPI as a workaround :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 4 months later...

Has this issue been resolved? I'm having a similar issue exporting SVGs to a CNC program, Carbide Create. Unlike the OP here, my issues prevails regardless of DPI setting. The imported image needs to be scaled up about 5.6 times to approximate actual size.  I've tried tests exporting from iDraw and results are spot on so I think this is an Affinity issue.

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Same issue here and it's completely random. One design exported at 96dpi can be 6mm x 6mm when imported into jscut (online) although the root design in affinity designer is 50mm x 50mm. Export something else at 96dpi and it can be either huge, or tiny. No consistency at all.

I'm having to use inkscape (yuk) to create svg's for import to the gcode creator. I had spent an age trying to calculate thread pitch and stepper rotations as I though my cnc was off. It wasn't of course. It was affinity designer's export function.

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 3:13 PM, BofG said:

There's an odd behaviour with Designer related to the dpi the document is created at. Make a 300dpi document, and then a 72dpi document - copy paste between them and watch as the object changes size :) Maybe related to what you are seeing? Try creating your document at different dpi settings and see if it changes anything with the output.

I experienced this, thanks for your post.  My document is set to 96 dpi, but I was trying to export a selected object in the document as an SVG at 400 dpi (via the export settings).  This resulted in an SVG with too big of a height and width compared to the original.  It was fixed by selecting the "Use document resolution" checkbox in the SVG export settings under "More" instead of manually specifying the DPI.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.48.08 PM.png