You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik and Viveza colour problems

I'm working on a Mac Book Pro and when I try to edit a file - RAW or TIFF in Viveza the images shows in the main screen as washed out although the loupe view appears to be correct. In addition to this Affinity is still exporting the original file to NIk rather than the adjusted one so for example if I crop it in Affinity the whole photo appears in Nik - all modules. I do like Affinity Photo but this has been an ongoing problem for months and it seems that Serif have no interest at all in sorting the problem out. I may have to move to On1 or similar. A response from the company would be good but they seem not to be bothered.

12 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Iwhen I try to edit a file - RAW or TIFF in Viveza the images shows in the main screen as washed out although the loupe view appears to be correct. 

I don't think that is this is entrely Affinity's fault. It seemst to be a problem with the interface between Nik and Affinity. At present Nik software is in a limbo, having been bought by DxO, but we have had no information about their intentions.

17 minutes ago, Septimus said:

In addition to this Affinity is still exporting the original file to NIk rather than the adjusted one so for example if I crop it in Affinity the whole photo appears in Nik - all modules. 

This is because the crop tool in Affinity is non-destructive. The cropped parts are still there.  You could try rasterizing the layer first. This often works. It sometimes even prevents the colour change in Viveza.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Yes, it is obviously a problem with the interface but it doesn't happen with PS or others software and its not a problem with Colour efex pro or HDR Efex. So I'm just going to have to lump it I suppose. I'll start looking at other software.

21 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I don't think that is this is entrely Affinity's fault. It seemst to be a problem with the interface between Nik and Affinity. At present Nik software is in a limbo, having been bought by DxO, but we have had no information about their intentions.

This is because the crop tool in Affinity is non-destructive. The cropped parts are still there.  You could try rasterizing the layer first. This often works. It sometimes even prevents the colour change in Viveza.

John

Its not nly cropping either. Any adjustments are not taken into Nik. The only way of getting them there is to flatten the image first.

12 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Its not only cropping either. Any adjustments are not taken into Nik. The only way of getting them there is to flatten the image first.

I'm sure that Nik is not the only plug-in where this is true. My normal wokflow is to start by duplicating my base layer, then apply any cropping, then rasterise . All before calling a plug-in.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

My normal wokflow is to start by duplicating my base layer, then apply any cropping, then rasterise . All before calling a plug-in.

John

+1

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

On 4/13/2018 at 1:20 PM, John Rostron said:

I'm sure that Nik is not the only plug-in where this is true. My normal workflow is to start by duplicating my base layer, then apply any cropping, then rasterise . All before calling a plug-in.

John

I have just tried this with Nik Viveza, Nik Dfine, Topaz Adjust and a couple of other plugins. All showed the same behaviour: Crop then Filter shows the full image. Crop, Rasterize then Filter shows the cropped image. Rasterizing first also seems to prevent the Nik plugins showing peculiar colours.

John

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, John Rostron said:

According to the DxO website, a new version of the Nik suite is due for release in 2018. 

John

I have the Nik Collection suite released in 2018 and still have the same problem with colors.  Images from my hard disk are clear and bright, but when I upload them to Affinity Photo and open the Nik Collection plugin, the colors are weak and washed out.  It is very discouraging because I like Nik Collection, but can't use it as a standalone application.  I though Affinity and Nik Collection had this color problem iron out by now.  No joy.  Am I missing something?

You can try to use the NIK Collection in standalone mode (see here) and then open/load the NIK modified image in APh afterwards. - Further if you use the older NIK Collection version (2012), then the plugin-interface probably doesn't behave like that, since DxO for sure in the meantime (for the 2018 version) made changes here for nowadays PS/LR version interoperations. So you may want to try how it behaves instead with the older NIK Collection version.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2