You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto Trace for Affinity Designer

I know there are many people wanting auto trace added to Affinity Designer. I'm one of them. What I don't understand is that Serif had a decent auto trace feature in DrawPlus x8 which I hop over to regularly in order to convert my designs to vectors. This isn't an ideal solution and only a temporary one. My question is why can't the programmers add that feature from their DrawPlus x8 prog to Affinity Designer? In my eyes it would complete the capabilities of Affinity Designer program. It seems ridiculous to have to go to 3rd party tracing options. Why make our lives difficult when it can all be programmed into the one piece of software.

• Staff

Hi BrightBold,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thank you for your feedback. The Affinity line is being written from scratch to be cross platform and take advantage of the new API's/resources of modern systems/OS's. It's not a replacement or expanded version of the old plus line/code. We hope to offer better/improved features over the old line as time permits. Hopefully we will have an improved auto trace feature later. Bear with us while we improve/grow the apps.

Having an auto trace sooner rather than later is a very basic feature wanted by so many.

BrightBold,

No offense, but almost everyone says that about his/her most desired feature. As just one individual example, another "me, too" autotrace feature is not even on my list of desired features. I almost never use one, there are plenty of them out there (even free ones), and they all do pretty much the same thing (which I expect is unlikely to change unless and until an affordable one acquires some measure of shape recognition intelligence).

That doesn't make me "right" or you "wrong," but as has been explained, it's on the planned features list. But priorities are up to the developers. I would imagine that sometimes features are inter-dependent, and have to be developed in sequence.

JET

5 hours ago, BrightBold said:

Thank you for getting back to me.

Having an auto trace sooner rather than later is a very basic feature wanted by so many. So why not concentrate on getting this one very handy feature out so we can all get more productive with our work.

I have suspicion that when Serif released it, it has an AI for shape recognition so that they don't just make jagged vector shape with thousands of nodes. 

• 3 years later...

It's been a few tears... Any updates?

I'm working for a company doing "die cut" stickers. We get in random art from customers... PNG w/transparency, Illustrator, Photoshop files, JPGs.

I open most in Photoshop, resize, remove backgrounds to transparent and create a solid black mask to generate the die line from. Auto trace in Illustrator, then offset path to give a little extra sticker around the art. Also use Mimaki Fine Cut plug-in to generate the offset line too, after tracing in Illustrator. Then I "simplify" the dieline and adjust for the cutters that don't like pointy stuff, hangs up the blade. They print on a Mimaki UV Inkjet/cutter combo and have a separate cutting machine too.  

Just got a new PC and all the updated software and tried working in Affinity, the autotrace was the dead end... ;-(

Tried some of the alternative tracers mentioned here, not so hot.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Auto trace is the most common feature I use for designing branded apparel and other work. It makes it easy to convert low resolution logos from customer and get the finished vector art for printing and sharing. Its one of the most used feature in Corel Draw for me.

I bought Affinity Designer & Photo as a replacement for Corel & Photoshop. Waiting from so long for this must have feature.

1 hour ago, Sukesh said:

I bought Affinity Designer & Photo as a replacement for Corel & Photoshop. Waiting from so long for this must have feature.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Sukesh. :)

If autotrace is a “must have” for you, why did you buy a product that doesn’t offer the feature? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Mersee bookoo ;-)

Tried these  with a B&W transparent PNG file... ;-(

Got Inkscape, need to put in some learning time ;-(

I have access to Illustrator from work, but like to have alternate, non-subscription tools that work.

Affinity products are good, even great in some areas and I'll keep using them.

Still have PagePlusX9 can't beat it for opening/editing PDFs, finds and uses all the fonts (mostly) better than their latest. Better than even Adobe products. Must be some Adobe font "threat" or something? They should port over that code to Publisher. ;-) 

• 11 months later...
5 minutes ago, eobet said:

Affinity Designer 2 did not have auto trace either, I don't think? I can't find it any menus...

It hasn't yet (... but might get one in some future software updates), thus you would actually have to use some third party tools as workarounds (see therefor).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2