You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It is true to say that I like the element of humour above all else in my photo composites. That's not to say I have no serious creative side, and there are times when this serious aspect of my character has a need to be fed when it surfaces. I like to play around with the results of my photography in the sense that, I experiment and try to turn an image into something completely different than what the camera lens has captured by employing heavy, picture altering manipulation, and editing techniques. I begin such endeavours with no clear idea or preconceived plan, it's a case of let's see what happens.

The picture below actually came from a photograph I took of an LED light cluster underneath a shelf in my lounge. You may have seen these advertised on TV. They are tiny, round light arrays which have a sticky gummed bottom that you can attach anywhere you please - they are very bright. I set up the shoot by turning all other lights out in my lounge except the LED cluster. I angled the camera in such a way that it was not looking directly into the light but trained it more on the reflection coming from the underside of the shelf which is highly polished. The picture itself, once taken, looked quite ordinary and appeared to be exactly what it was - a picture of a light underneath a shelf!

I do many photo shoots of odd things just for the sake of manipulating them into something else. I pull them in liquify, clone them, cut them, crop them, warp them, alter the colour, erase parts, duplicate parts, flip parts, copy and paste parts, or anything else that takes my fancy until a certain point is reached when I can clearly see an end result in sight. Once this vision has taken place I then build upon that to create the vision itself.

So. From starting a shoot with nothing particular in mind, this image is a good example of how something which came from the most unlikeliest source has been transformed into something very different but easily recognisable.

Mr Ro Bot.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.