You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear Affinity-Community,

I hope you can help me in this case !

I created a flyer using Affinity Designer. Colors are CMYK (ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)).

For this flyer I have approx. 50 photos of leather watch straps, where the color is one of the most important things.

I edited these photos in Photoshop CC and they really looked fine in PS CC (also CMYK !). The colors are very rich and deep if you are looking at the photos in Photoshop CC.

Then I exported the photos from Photoshop and saved them as PNG (CMYK / ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)).

Also the image looked fine when I opened it at the preview on the iMac.

But as soon as I import this image to Affinity Designer, the colors are very very pale !

I hope you can help me get this problem under control.

Thank you in advance !

Best regards

Lucas

Dear stokerg,

thanks for your quick support.

But I probably found the problem... I hope.

Most of the internet forums say that PNG doesn't even support CMYK. Is that correct ?

So I will try to save the photos as TIFF and try it again.

Hopefully this will work.

5 hours ago, werbal said:

Most of the internet forums say that PNG doesn't even support CMYK. Is that correct ?

According to Wikipedia,

PNG supports palette-based images (with palettes of 24-bit RGB or 32-bit RGBA colors), grayscale images (with or without alpha channel for transparency), and full-color non-palette-based RGB/RGBA images (with or without alpha channel). PNG was designed for transferring images on the Internet, not for professional-quality print graphics, and therefore does not support non-RGB color spaces such as CMYK.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1