You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am using the Afinity Photo desktop version to replace a sky in a photo that has evergreen trees.  Everything goes fine, EXCEPT, the border between the masked sky and the picture has white ghosting, looks like frost.  I have used the refining tool, but to no avail.  I am stumped.  I have attached the file for a look.  Does anyone have an idea what is causing this issue and how to fix it?  I would appreciate any help.

Example.jpg

• Staff

Hi @jbrent,

Welcome to the forums. 

You would expect this kind of result if your image is only 640x480. Refine tool mostly works on detecting edges/contrast between your selection. The more pixels you have, the better the mask will come out. On the other hand, on a 640x480, I'm really surprised it's worked this good. You can get away with it by changing the sky to a lighter tone so that it matches the "frost" around the edges. 

Thanks,

Gabe

That looks woeful. AP is capable of much better selections. What selection tool did you use to select the sky? Can you post a screen shot of your selection settings? 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I cannot Open this On My IPad. I notice you are using the desktop version so maybe this post needs moving.

Hopefully Gabriel can assist further.

43AB266A-ED6F-4B83-8AC7-0B01657A68D1.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

There is a very good Affinity tutorial with a alternative way to replace a sky using Blend ranges and is worth a watch, move to about 50 seconds and watch from there: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I see a lot of "replaced skies" and the biggest mistake made is the sky used to supplant the original sky isn't from the same perspective. People can view such images and know something is wrong but can't quite put their finger on why, so use a sky that is seen from the same viewpoint, elevation etc. It makes a "world" of difference.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions