Jump to content
quarki69

How do I add a note to an existing curve?

Recommended Posts

Dear all,

 

I have a curve / line, created using the pen tool, representing a church tower. I now need to add two nodes, to make the tower look slightly different.
Unfortunately  i do not know how to add nodes to the existing "curve". Any hint would be highly appreciated. Thank you! :-)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-10 um 19.51.05.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Choose the Node Tool, move towards the edge of the object on the canvas until the white arrow cursor acquires a little squiggle, and then click once to add a node below the cursor.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, quarki69 said:

Dear all,

 

I have a curve / line, created using the pen tool, representing a church tower. I now need to add two nodes, to make the tower look slightly different.
Unfortunately  i do not know how to add nodes to the existing "curve". Any hint would be highly appreciated. Thank you! :-)

 

Use the Node Tool (A) to click at the appropriate location on the curve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also be careful when adding nodes as a slight movement during a click will add a smooth node instead of a sharp node, you can change it to a sharp node if you do this but just thought you should be aware of this in case you want a straight line. 

Sharp nodes have a square shape, a smooth node is a solid round shape and a smart node is a round shape with a dot in the middle.


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear all, thank you very much for the quick and kind responses! :-D Unfortunately, the line only bends in a curve, when doing so, but I need a sharp angel, thus another sharp bend on the two roof lines.

 

Edit: It worked! Thank you very very much!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, quarki69 said:

Dear all, thank you very much for the quick and kind responses! :-D Unfortunately, the line only bends in a curve, when doing so, but I need a sharp angel, thus another sharp bend on the two roof lines.

 

Do not drag on the line. Just click on the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I clicked, but it adds a node with these adjustment handles directly. Only when I move these handles to the node completely, I receive a sharp angle, instead of a curve. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, quarki69 said:

Yes, I clicked, but it adds a node with these adjustment handles directly. Only when I move these handles to the node completely, I receive a sharp angle, instead of a curve. :-)

 

Ah, OK. Lightbulb moment! If you click on a straight line segment the new node will be a sharp node, but if you click on a curved line segment the new node will be a smooth node.

 

3 minutes ago, owenr said:

When you have a smooth node producing curvature, opt/alt-click it with Node Tool to convert it to a sharp corner node.

 

Alternatively, click on the 'Convert to Sharp' icon in the Convert section of the Context toolbar.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×