quarki69

How do I add a note to an existing curve?

Dear all,

I have a curve / line, created using the pen tool, representing a church tower. I now need to add two nodes, to make the tower look slightly different.
Unfortunately  i do not know how to add nodes to the existing "curve". Any hint would be highly appreciated. Thank you! :-)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-10 um 19.51.05.png

Choose the Node Tool, move towards the edge of the object on the canvas until the white arrow cursor acquires a little squiggle, and then click once to add a node below the cursor.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

3 minutes ago, quarki69 said:

Dear all,

I have a curve / line, created using the pen tool, representing a church tower. I now need to add two nodes, to make the tower look slightly different.
Unfortunately  i do not know how to add nodes to the existing "curve". Any hint would be highly appreciated. Thank you! :-)

Use the Node Tool (A) to click at the appropriate location on the curve

Also be careful when adding nodes as a slight movement during a click will add a smooth node instead of a sharp node, you can change it to a sharp node if you do this but just thought you should be aware of this in case you want a straight line. 

Sharp nodes have a square shape, a smooth node is a solid round shape and a smart node is a round shape with a dot in the middle.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Dear all, thank you very much for the quick and kind responses! :-D Unfortunately, the line only bends in a curve, when doing so, but I need a sharp angel, thus another sharp bend on the two roof lines.

Edit: It worked! Thank you very very much!!!

2 minutes ago, quarki69 said:

Dear all, thank you very much for the quick and kind responses! :-D Unfortunately, the line only bends in a curve, when doing so, but I need a sharp angel, thus another sharp bend on the two roof lines.

Do not drag on the line. Just click on the line.

Yes, I clicked, but it adds a node with these adjustment handles directly. Only when I move these handles to the node completely, I receive a sharp angle, instead of a curve. :-)

5 minutes ago, quarki69 said:

Yes, I clicked, but it adds a node with these adjustment handles directly. Only when I move these handles to the node completely, I receive a sharp angle, instead of a curve. :-)

Ah, OK. Lightbulb moment! If you click on a straight line segment the new node will be a sharp node, but if you click on a curved line segment the new node will be a smooth node.

3 minutes ago, owenr said:

When you have a smooth node producing curvature, opt/alt-click it with Node Tool to convert it to a sharp corner node.

Alternatively, click on the 'Convert to Sharp' icon in the Convert section of the Context toolbar.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)