You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I add a note to an existing curve?

Dear all,

I have a curve / line, created using the pen tool, representing a church tower. I now need to add two nodes, to make the tower look slightly different.
Unfortunately  i do not know how to add nodes to the existing "curve". Any hint would be highly appreciated. Thank you! :-)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-10 um 19.51.05.png

Choose the Node Tool, move towards the edge of the object on the canvas until the white arrow cursor acquires a little squiggle, and then click once to add a node below the cursor.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Also be careful when adding nodes as a slight movement during a click will add a smooth node instead of a sharp node, you can change it to a sharp node if you do this but just thought you should be aware of this in case you want a straight line. 

Sharp nodes have a square shape, a smooth node is a solid round shape and a smart node is a round shape with a dot in the middle.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Dear all, thank you very much for the quick and kind responses! :-D Unfortunately, the line only bends in a curve, when doing so, but I need a sharp angel, thus another sharp bend on the two roof lines.

Edit: It worked! Thank you very very much!!!

5 minutes ago, quarki69 said:

Yes, I clicked, but it adds a node with these adjustment handles directly. Only when I move these handles to the node completely, I receive a sharp angle, instead of a curve. :-)

Ah, OK. Lightbulb moment! If you click on a straight line segment the new node will be a sharp node, but if you click on a curved line segment the new node will be a smooth node.

3 minutes ago, owenr said:

When you have a smooth node producing curvature, opt/alt-click it with Node Tool to convert it to a sharp corner node.

Alternatively, click on the 'Convert to Sharp' icon in the Convert section of the Context toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)