You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey everyone, I'll attach a screenshot of my problem at the endn of the thread, but what I'm trying to do is merge these 3 curve layers into one flat object that I can put a gradient on (I wasn't able to do this with a rasterised pixel layer?) Is there any way I can do this?

My issue with applying a gradient to the current set is that the gradient doesn't apply to the outline (which one of the layers uses as seen in the second screenshot)

Are there any ways to do this or any workarounds?

Thanks,

Dylan

EDIT: I know I could join curves but that would mess up some of the nodes and their placement wouldn't it?

Capture.PNG

d.PNG

Dylan SJ Perez

31 minutes ago, Dylan SJ Perez said:

EDIT: I know I could join curves but that would mess up some of the nodes and their placement wouldn't it?

There's currently a bug which surfaces when you add shapes which include 'Smart' nodes, but from your first screenshot you don't have any of those. Try it and see!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You can also apply a gradient to a stroke. In this case, should not be too hard to get a match. But as Alfred said, why not try and add them all to make one object.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

29 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There's currently a bug which surfaces when you add shapes which include 'Smart' nodes, but from your first screenshot you don't have any of those. Try it and see!

21 minutes ago, gdenby said:

You can also apply a gradient to a stroke. In this case, should not be too hard to get a match. But as Alfred said, why not try and add them all to make one object.

I wasn't able to join curves and turn it into a single object (maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

I'm not sure how to apply the gradient to the stroke either

Applying a gradient to the stroke seems like the easier option at the moment but if I could turn it all into a single object I'd prefer that

Dylan SJ Perez

@Dylan SJ Perez Looking at your work (wich looks promising btw nice colors), I am trying to help you, but can't really tell anything from the screenshots alone. So I can only throw some things I normally check if strange things happen; are you sure there are no strokes that needs to be converted into paths before you start adding/joining? Are all paths closed? Do you still have the problem when you don't use smart nodes? 

1 hour ago, Dylan SJ Perez said:

I wasn't able to join curves and turn it into a single object (maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

The 'Join Curves' command joins the nearest start or end node of one open curve to the nearest start or end node of the next. The 'Add' command creates a single object from the selected curves, closing them first if they're open to begin with.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

14 minutes ago, Friksel said:

@Dylan SJ Perez Looking at your work (wich looks promising btw nice colors), I am trying to help you, but can't really tell anything from the screenshots alone. So I can only throw some things I normally check if strange things happen; are you sure there are no strokes that needs to be converted into paths before you start adding/joining? Are all paths closed? Do you still have the problem when you don't use smart nodes? 

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The 'Join Curves' command joins the nearest start or end node of one open curve to the nearest start or end node of the next. The 'Add' command creates a single object from the selected curves, closing them first if they're open to begin with.

Thanks, I think everything is converted to paths, they should all be closed. I didn't use smart nodes to begin with either.

I tried what you said Alfred, and also broke all of the curves and then joined them, then closed them, but that just seemed to mess everything up.

I did however figure out how to add gradients to outlines and that seems to work great.

Thanks guys!

Dylan SJ Perez