You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colored Fonts - Affinity Designer

Hello Dev's and Team

Want to ask if Serif is considering the add of colored ; artistic fonts and those new stuffs we enjoy on daily basis and which are supported on the web.

They are life and time saving for a lot of people out there but also help create really good design.

Attached you will see an example of what i'm talking about.

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 1.21.44 PM.png

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

26 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Very interesting.

See !

i know we are all asking Serif Team to implement all this geometrical stuffs and many CAD style functionality but i realized we may lose the focus at some point about all this, Affinity Designer is more about Design, drawing etc... artistic stuffs (that's my understanding and maybe a Dev can correct me here).

Then i took my own case in order to ask for something that can be useful to many and which is more actual to everyone: Fonts !

As far as i experienced Design software from this or that developer, Affinity Designer and Photo are the only Softwares which are able to open my fonts base very quick and have me jump to the typography work faster.

i have around 4986 fonts installed on my macbook pro, i use them many purposes (Book editing, Flyers, Poster of all kind, Business cards of all kinds, etc...) so i work a lot with fonts and the only software that is reactive when i type "T" on my keyboard to switch on "Text" is Affinity Designer and Photo, InDesign takes up to 3min to load or give me access to text field and update a content or write a new content.

Out there some says, you have bad fonts etc... i have checked and double checked but no bad fonts found and in the same time Affinity is able to open them and let me work with, what a good tool.

So my point, let's ask for what will make Designer even better, not that i'm saying all asked things and functionalities are bad but what if we really ask what will help us release the Design Genius is us and bring more color in this grey colored world.

Fonts are the front line because after looking at colors (picture included), peoples Read the content

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Yes, agreed. I think people got carried over by the fancy grid capabilities (which is really nice and cool) that they think AD is a CAD program. It's an illustration software, not technical drawing. Sure, some technical stuff here and there is important (mainly to distance AD from Ai) but let's not get carried away, shall we? 

Adobe products bypass the OS font subsystem. Which is a good/bad thing, especially for ID which uses a completely different font subsystem than say AI or PS. With ID, it is extremely picky about fonts. More so than AI. I have investigated a thousand fonts for ID users over the years when weird things happen in ID (from crashes to extreme slowness) and that reportedly do not happen in non-Adobe software. Those fonts have always had issues.

There is a larger thread regarding color fonts. I find minimal utility for the most part, but hey, QXP can use them so why not (in the upcoming release).

I mea

5 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Unfortunately, this is not in the roadmap so if they will implement this, it will be in 2.x version or above. They need to implement this tho, this is a very useful thing to have as an Illustrator. In all of their software IMO. 

I mean even just the support of this type of fonts would be of great help then next version would come with few or more of this 

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

5 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Unfortunately, this is not in the roadmap so if they will implement this, it will be in 2.x version or above. They need to implement this tho, this is a very useful thing to have as an Illustrator. In all of their software IMO. 

Unless there is the capability to color as desired, access to the palette, then there is little utility except to create something using such fonts that looks just like the other guy.

At least with layered fonts, each part, each layer, can be colored as the design dictates.

4 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Unless there is the capability to color as desired, access to the palette, then there is little utility except to create something using such fonts that looks just like the other guy.

At least with layered fonts, each part, each layer, can be colored as the design dictates.

See @MikeW manual work is good but when things already exist why not just make use of them enjoying the ease of use they bring.

Just imagine how much time these fonts styles will help many of us to save. 

They also are source of inspiration for those who will be interested to improve them. 

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

If one could not recolor vector art work, or alter it, would stock art web sites exist?

That's how I view color fonts. And I have literally hundreds of them. I also have a few hundred layered fonts. Guess which see more use in my shop?

21 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If one could not recolor vector art work, or alter it, would stock art web sites exist?

That's how I view color fonts. And I have literally hundreds of them. I also have a few hundred layered fonts. Guess which see more use in my shop?

Tell me pliiiiiiz

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

7 hours ago, MikeW said:

Adobe products bypass the OS font subsystem. Which is a good/bad thing, especially for ID which uses a completely different font subsystem than say AI or PS. With ID, it is extremely picky about fonts. More so than AI. I have investigated a thousand fonts for ID users over the years when weird things happen in ID (from crashes to extreme slowness) and that reportedly do not happen in non-Adobe software. Those fonts have always had issues.

There is a larger thread regarding color fonts. I find minimal utility for the most part, but hey, QXP can use them so why not (in the upcoming release).

I didn't said Thank you @MikeW

This is life saving information. 

Now I know Publisher will do better than ID with fonts. 

Please Serif do not make the subthing setup in Publisher 

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

20 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Tell me pliiiiiiz

Hah. Of course there would be some, I don't think as many. And the things made with them would all look alike. Which would be the point about color fonts without access to the palette.

A question from a learner in graphic design. 

How good can you say typography have improved or help you grow in the design industry?

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Setting electronic type via a computer isn't really any different today than when I started in 1989. How it looks on-screen differs, but the results are the same.

The main thing I believe has improved far more has been how color is worked with and its results. Understanding how color works has helped me professionally. As has understanding pdf technology (which has also improved a few times through the years).

As regards color and computer technology, when I began I was doing 4-color work on a paper white monitor all the while creating postscript files for each color separation and helping produce the film.

Sometimes the good ol' days weren't. I far prefer today. Well, at least doing this type of work, anyway. 

I believe Serif need to improve the Character panel. 

See it's already good and does the job but it can be improved and be more convivial. 

The first impression I had was... Whoooow not easy, I need to learn about this again and again. 

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF