You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All new images appear underexposed in Affinity Photo

I'm using an Olympus OM-D EM-1 mk2. Recently I've noticed that all RAW and JPG images straight from the camera that I open in Affinity have a histogram which is mainly on the left, little above 100 and nothing above 150. I've taken some test shots and made sure the histogram on the camera spans the full range. These show in Olympus Viewer 3 and in XNViewMP as having a histogram from 0 to 255. I've done this as well on my OM-D EM-5 mk 2 and got exactly the same sort of result. Is there some setting in Affinity that I've changed, as I've not seen this behaviour before in 2 years of using it.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Stuart444,

This is an issue we are aware of due to the histogram displaying in linear 32bit and has been logged internally, unfortunately there's no current work around but our developers are aware and are doing what they can!

Hi Dan C,

That's a relief (to me!) I'd noticed that the images performed normally in that Exposure or Levels can restore a "normal" histogram and the results appear OK after usual processing, but I figured something was wrong and assumed it was me. Great, I can live with it and look forwards to the fix.

Thanks,

Stuart

I am a bit surprised, though, if you're seeing the histogram compression on JPEG files; I thought that was only occurring for RAW files in the Develop Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• Staff

I'm sorry, I missed the mention of JPEG originally (oops!). We are aware of the issue in regards to RAWs being opened directly in the develop persona. If this is happening with JPEGs too, could you please provide me with a sample image?

Hi Dan,

I apologise, I must have only looked at RAW images in Affinity but had looked at a partner JPG in the viewer programs (I had my M1 set to only record in RAW but the M5 to record in both). I've opened the M5's JPG in Affinity now and the histogram is correct.

Stuart

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately this fix has not yet been implemented, when the issue is resolved it will be included in an general update but I have been given no timescale from our developers for this currently, my apologies.

• 10 months later...

I think it's been resolved in the 1.7 beta. You might experiment with the beta and see what you think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think it's been resolved in the 1.7 beta. You might experiment with the beta and see what you think.

Yes, much better in 1.7

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

26 minutes ago, Stuart444 said:

I downloaded 1.7 only to find it's a mac file. Is there a Windows version?

Make sure you are in the Windows Beta forum. The latest Beta download will be around the top of the forum list.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

I see now that when files created in 1.6 are opened in the beta, it gives a warning that if modified they might no longer be able to be opened in 1.6. Does this mean there's a risk that they also possibly won't be able to be opened in the production version of 1.7 when it is released?

• Staff
1 hour ago, Stuart444 said:

Does this mean there's a risk that they also possibly won't be able to be opened in the production version of 1.7 when it is released?

AFAIK, we don't plan on changing any of our file serialisation between the current 1.7 beta and release, so your beta documents should all carry across as expected when we release the update to retail!

Great, thanks. My computer has started bringing up the beta by default since I installed it, so rather than change that I'll keep using the beta. Do you know roughly when the retail version will be released?

4 hours ago, Stuart444 said:

. Do you know roughly when the retail version will be released?

To quote the standard Serif response:

When it's ready.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630