You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is this border style posible with Affinity?

• Staff

Hi chris.bannu :)

Unfortunately not, Affinity does not currently have border style options for lines, you'll have to create the border manually. This could be done using a custom brush, the pen tool or by cutting up basic shapes!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Now wouldn't that be a cool feature, to change a straight path using a "Frequency Filter" to create undulations from a straight path, similar to an oscilloscope effect.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Now wouldn't that be a cool feature, to change a straight path using a "Frequency Filter" to create undulations from a straight path, similar to an oscilloscope effect.

Still a work in progress & possibly something that can be simplified but for a sine-like wavy path this is what I have come up with so far:

5ace00216c518_wavyassetsteps.png.3fb2deb9551ff74371e4f8f29b429786.png

The second conversion & deletion are necessary so the asset can be duplicated & joined end-to-end without distortion at the join.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

33 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The second conversion & deletion are necessary so the asset can be duplicated & joined end-to-end without distortion at the join.

Why not convert the sharp nodes to smooth in the first place, rather than converting to smart and having to add extra steps to avoid distortion at the join? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Using the Equations Filter on a rectangle can produce interesting effects

Slider A controls the amplitude of the waveform

waveform.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Why not convert the sharp nodes to smooth in the first place, rather than converting to smart and having to add extra steps to avoid distortion at the join? :/

Mostly because using smart nodes made it easy to offset some of the nodes to get variations that automatically adjust to maintain the same smoothness through the nodes, sort of like this overlay of all smooth vs. smart:

5ace1f9306815_smartvssmooth.png.b15357450d4a2cea96507d3c47ce02e2.png

But if that isn't important you could certainly do it in fewer steps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hey guys,

Thank you for answering :) 

Yeah, creating them manually is time consuming, but that's the way to do it so far unfortunately.

@carl123 I'm using Affinity Designer, don't have Affinity Photo, but I'm thinking of getting it too. This feature should exist in AD though, it's very useful for vectors. Maybe this thread should be moved to FEATURE REQUEST?