You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shared Affinity App

Hello Everyone, im new, and im about to buy Affinity Designer upon doing so for my Mac will it automatically share with my iPad so I can use the app in various places, thanks for any advice, I won't buy until I know it will be on both items, The Mac And iPad. quick answer required as I need to sleep but wish to buy the app first, thanks Ray UK

• Staff

Hi Razer Lazer,

Welcome to the forums :)

Currently Affinity Designer is only available on Mac/Windows as the iPad version has not yet been released. When it does, this version will be standalone from the desktop app and will need purchasing again. Unfortunately we don't sell licenses that span across Mac and iPad, apologies!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan, Sorry for the late reply, I've only just realised I was in this forum, I have just downloaded the free software  that allows me to connect Infinity to my iPad and phone, I think. 

Im about to start learning how to design on here as I've only just got use to using the program for my Laser cutter, Im pretty excited on what I will achieve as I have lot of ideas and im very creative, this is my retirement hobby after a heart attack in 2014 forced me to retire from my business I had ran for the pat 20 years locally, I love the laser concept and its capabilities, but im way behind the younger generation on techno things lol, so it will take time for me to learn as I have other health issues. Im 58 just but my brain needs stimulating, im not one for sitting around, I love to achieve, so hopefully I will knowledge from the forum and create some Wonderfull items as you guys do. 

Kind Regards Ray.

• Staff

No problem Ray. I'm sorry, which software are you referring to? I'm not aware of any software that can use a Mac Affinity app on an iPad, but I may be incorrect.
I'm sorry to hear it, but it certainly sounds like an interesting hobby to take up and I wish you the best of luck! :)

Dan

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'm not aware of any software that can use a Mac Affinity app on an iPad

Me too neither! There are apps that allow you to use an iPad as an input device (behaving like a graphics tablet) or as a secondary display, but I imagine there are too many differences between the operating systems and hardware capabilities to do anything more than that.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

I am aware of of extended display apps, but had not even considered it as an input... learn something new, hey!

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I imagine there are too many differences between the operating systems and hardware capabilities to do anything more than than.

Me too, but I never say never :P

Hi guys, I've not had time to sync all apple items as yet, but the way I seen in you can link Mac with Affinity to iPhone and iPad. If anyone has it would be interesting to know, and what the links capabilities has. But the download did show all linked. Ray 

• Staff

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately as I previously described, you cannot use the Mac app version on an iPad or iPhone. There may be third party apps that link your Mac and iPad applications, but these are not supported by Affinity, apologies.

Perhaps confusion related to the ability to be able to edit Serif  'files' generated on one device, say a Mac, on another device such as the iPad.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks DM1, the technology of today has come about a little late in my life, and to catch up would be impossible, but if you have the basics and ability to create items but want to better yourself at that, that will suffice me. I think another ten years for me and I'll not know what day it is or which planet I'm on, I'm getting those effect some days now lol, I so miss being young and full of life, but be happy what you done and take it as it comes. There's some clever people out there today that can create just absolutely anything. Cheers Ray. 

10 hours ago, Razer Lazer said:

I think another ten years for me and I'll not know what day it is or which planet I'm on, I'm getting those effect some days now lol, I

Ray I can certainly relate to that feeling. These Affinity products certainly give us all scope for exploring creativity and to keep exercising the old grey matter. Lots of helpful videos too, to get one started, from basics up to more complex/creative stuff. Whichever product you go for, relax and enjoy exploring the features and what they enable you to create. That, (with emphasis on relax and enjoy) is the approach I take.

Cheers. :D

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi DM1, food for thought there, I'm hoping my stressful days are over, and to get stressed up over a hobby is quiet not right, but I'm in the winding down mode, from going 100mph every running a company to now wondering what day it is because it don't matter, I must agree with you on that point. Explore and enjoy, good way of approaching a new pretty complex hobby. But it is my kind of thing. Creativity and machines. I have had my gardens created myself for a little attention as possible, nice lawns and a border for the wife to potter around in, I hate gardening. I do like to cut the lawns and create various patterns. Yes defiantly understand your meaning on that. 

Cheers Ray 

On 25/04/2018 at 3:21 PM, Dan C said:

Unfortunately as I previously described, you cannot use the Mac app version on an iPad or iPhone.

This is absolutely fair enough, and as well as the apps themselves being different across platforms, I don't think Apple have any mechanism for a developer to sell a cross-platform license like that (which could make sense in some cases, or for example iOS and macOS versions as a 'bundle' or something on the app store).

On the other hand, digressing somewhat, what I don't understand is why it's necessary to buy separate Windows and Mac licenses for Affinity products.  Obviously the Mac version is sold through Apple, but you have the store setup for Windows customers and there must be at least a few people like me who'd be much more likely to consider buying if there were a cross-platform desktop license.

Cheers,

Peter

44 minutes ago, ptodd said:

there must be at least a few people like me who'd be much more likely to consider buying if there were a cross-platform desktop license

How much cheaper than two individual licences would it need to be before you'd seriously consider buying it?

Alfred spacer.png

I'm not entirely sure, depends a bit on other factors really.  I had an Adobe CC subscription from an old job, but that's running out...

I think it would be reasonable for a cross-platform desktop license to cost ~1.5x single platform, maybe.

I'm currently thinking about subscribing to the Adobe photography plan.  I use Lightroom a lot more than PS on a day-to-day basis, and Affinity wouldn't really replace that.  So I'd need to make an investment of effort in migrating my photo library and getting into a new workflow if I wanted to move away from Adobe entirely (which I somewhat do).  It'd still be handy for me to have some decent graphics software that would run on my non-mobile machines without needing to juggle logins etc, and I'd like to support smaller developers.

I'd probably mostly want to use it on the Mac (at the moment), but knowing that buying it from the App store would mean no hope of the license realistically ever being upgradeable to cross-platform gives me extra pause.

I suppose ultimately I don't really have a very great need for Affinity (if I get Adobe CC photo), but I would be somewhat likely to buy it at some point when I was reasonably ok for money, even without a great need for it.  I don't know how much more seriously I'd consider as a function of cost; if it were the same price as single platform I would probably snap it up without much hesitation, but as I say, 1.5x would seem reasonable.

Excuse my vagueness; to be honest I'm kind of procrastinating about filing expenses and invoices at the moment.  Perhaps when they're done and paid I'll be in a better state to think about what would actually part me from money ;)

I realise having searched the forums a bit that this subject has been rather done to death, which doesn't surprise me too much.

1 hour ago, ptodd said:

I think it would be reasonable for a cross-platform desktop license to cost ~1.5x single platform, maybe.

Serif have offered discounts of 20% or more to mark the launch of a new point release (e.g. version 1.5 or 1.6) or to celebrate winning an award, so it’s not unreasonable to assume that they’ll do the same again. At that price we’re talking about $80 to purchase a pair of licences for one app, which is only 60% more than the regular $50 price tag for a single licence.

Alfred spacer.png