You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need ability to edit Fireworks PNG

I've been using Fireworks since it was Macromedia. In my mind it is the best graphic editing program out there for web developers like me. Simple to use. Intuitive and very functional. I've rarely run into something I couldn't do with it. However, of course, Adobe is dumping it and it doesn't work so well on Mac's High Sierra. It's currently limping and I fear it will become unusable completely very soon.

Ultimately, what I need is the ability to open a PNG from fireworks (LAYERED - NOT FLATTENED) and maintain editablity (text, objects etc) in Affinity Designer. I've downloaded the trial but it doesn't appear to be possible. Converting PNG from Fireworks to Photoshop often doesn't translate well, not to mention the amount of time to go through this process is a bit ridiculous when I have so many files.

Is there any chance that you guys are going to make it possible to open and edit the old files (saving as the afdesign files)? This would be the biggest thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on purchasing the program. The second thing that I would need that Fireworks has is the ability to create hotspots and save out as html. I'm sure I can find some other app for this though, so it's not a deal breaker.

If it helps I can provide a bunch of sample files I have in FW that you can use to test the functionality I'm asking for.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi AndrewC,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The layered data you find in Fireworks PNG's is is written in a proprietary format using a private tag. We have no way to access that data. Please check the thread below for additional info. Currently there's no plans to output any type of code (HTML, CSS etc) from Affinity Designer.