Etidona

changing fonts crashes

Hi, 

Every time i change font Affinity freezes forcing me to force quit. Both from the top or from the "character" panel. 

Doing something wrong?

I have also noticed when working with Frame Text Tool if you try to double click to reset the frame size it also kills the application. Though I should say that behaviour is situational, because some frames are reset flawlessly and some keep killing the application even after reopening the app.

13 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi all,

We are aware of an issue where scaled resolutions (above 5k) can cause this. Switching to 5120x2880 or lower should make the issue go away. This is already logged and we are looking into it.

Is there any case here where this doesn't apply?

Hi MEB! Not sure what you mean about scaled resolution. If it is monitor size - I am on 13'.

Gents let me share a few with you about Affinity crashing. 

I've noticed Apple and ADe work better since I have removed Adobe products. 

Please, this is only my case I'm sharing here but since I removed Ai then PS less memory is used and even Photo or Designer loads faster. 

As I know, software sometimes share libraries and functionality at some points so maybe you are going through the same thing. 

Make sure of cleaning your Mac cash with proper software and use a ram cleaner tool too. 

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

14 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

I've noticed Apple and ADe work better since I have removed Adobe products. 

Don't even have them installed on this machine.

Hi nik_sol,

If you are using a 13 inch screen then that's definitely a different issue. My reply above was regarding opening the Font list dropdown to change a font as stated in the first post.

I'm checking if there's any but report about resetting the frame size. I will try to reproduce this and fill a bug report if needed.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi nik_sol,

If you are using a 13 inch screen then that's definitely a different issue. My reply above was regarding opening the Font list dropdown to change a font as stated in the first post.

I'm checking if there's any but report about resetting the frame size. I will try to reproduce this and fill a bug report if needed.

Thanks MEB! Hope you can narrow it down. Just to point out that this happens only from time to time and only when I double click resetting the frame size. Dragging borders of the frame don't cause any issue.

got a way to stop font change crash!!!

its an odd fix but it works ,

open project and before you change font go to window tab at the top page menu bar and click separate windows tab, the screen will go in to separate window mode and you can then access your fonts and change them :)

you can even change back to joined window mode straight away and then open the font window and it does not crash...

I must say tho I am getting a lot of crashes at the mo :(

am also getting the same font fault in affinity photo as well as designer.

any ideas affinity ?

ps am on a iMac 27 5k screen :)

The font dropdown is crashing affinity designer and affinity photo when selected on my mac mini with an iiyama 4k 40" screen. I have all the latest releases of software and the latest version of macos. Any news about the new beta software?

I'm using a 4K display and also encounter the same problem when the app is in fullscreen. Resizing the window just a little solves the problem for the moment.

I got the same crash today on AD 1.6.1.

Select a font...spinning beachball forever. macOS High Sierra 10.13.6