You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anyone using a new 2018 iPad with an Apple Pencil yet?

I am interested in comments about the user experience of using an Apple Pencil with the new 9.7" iPad model, the recently released non-pro model, particularly anything about painting smoothness, lag or lack thereof, pressure & tilt responsiveness, & the like.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!

Is no one using an Apple Pencil & the new 9.7" iPad model? :/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, I do and it works perfectly. I have the 128 Gb model and I did not have any problem so far. If you use a very large brush on a very large picture or canva, then you will see some lag. But I see the same lag on my PC. The Pencil is very responsive and pressure works very well.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I have to agree - The pencil is fantastic on the iPad, in terms of pressure, drag, control, and speed of editing. (Disclaimer though, I’m using the 2017 12.9 inch iPad model). In fact the pencil, and how strong it is as an editor, is why I am moving away from my stationary iMac. Occasionally, my selections disappear, so I have to zoom out, then back, for them to “show”. But this seems less an issue with the pen and more of the software or iPad processing power.

Comparatively though I have a Wacom pad for my desktop and hate that it captures pressure from the sides of my hand, and that I’m not editing on the actual screen. It all feels very counter-intuitive. I much prefer the pencil for the iPad. 

One other note that might be helpful. My friend who also has the pencil for the iPad, and doesn’t do photo editing, doesn’t see a ton of value in the pencil and never uses it. 

Anyone who is using a 2018 iPad, notice any cons using it with Affinity Photo, compared to an iPad Pro?

Affinity Photo editing on my iPad ( currently an iPad Pro) is the only reason I bought my last Pro.  Otherwise, it is overkill, I don’t care about the nice features the Pros offer over the regular iPads.  I just love the iPad for what it basically does.  I could keep up with current versions at the cost of iPads vs what the Pros cost.  Course I don’t need a new one with the next release but one year soon I will, I’m a Planner, lol.

• 3 months later...

I purchased the 2018 iPad some weeks ago, including Apple Pencil. I mainly used Affinity Designer as it was introduced on iPad about the same time. Based on my experience so far, it works like a dream. As far as I have noticed almost all desktop features work on iPad. The interface is extremely responsive as well as Apple Pencil. The little gap at the tip of Apple Pencil didn't bother me at all. To see for yourselves, follow the excellent videos by Elaine Giles on Affinity Designer and Photo (with Apple Pencil) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_ai5ZMv7k&frags=pl%2Cwn. You will be amazed by the versatility and usability of the 2018 iPad concerning Affinity products. I wish you all the luck in using your new iPad and Pencil in future work.