You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ad for my job

Sackadelic

I use AP to design ads for my job. These get published in Guitar and Bass magazines. Working with text, masks, and images are a breeze. This design focuses on a particular model we make, and the image portrays the different looks a customer can achieve.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated, as I'm a total novice at this.

T

Big Single Covers - Guitar Player.png

This looks awesome! 

You could always add some effects or shadows to some of the text that would accent it - so it's not all the same.

Great job!  Keep up the good work :-)  Jen

Check out my Youtube tutorials and my Skillshare course on Affinity Designer:
This link allows you to watch the course for free: https://skl.sh/32qtnRt
YouTube tutorials for Affinity Designer: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU_Y96iOVu_M-f1xWDEN2TA

I like it too. The only thing I would check is the weight differences between your letters. Typographically, that looks a little odd to me. It seems you just scaled down each letter of your words apart from the first one, and so the first one is always looking too heavy. It’s already noticeable in the headline, but the issue becomes more prominent in the words indicated in my screenshot. :)

Weight.thumb.png.178e6d3d5258ce1cb88cd4bd82358087.png

6 hours ago, A_B_C said:

I like it too. The only thing I would check is the weight differences between your letters. Typographically, that looks a little odd to me. It seems you just scaled down each letter of your words apart from the first one, and so the first one is always looking too heavy. It’s already noticeable in the headline, but the issue becomes more prominent in the words indicated in my screenshot. :)

Weight.thumb.png.178e6d3d5258ce1cb88cd4bd82358087.png

Thanks! I did reduce the font size after each leading letter - something I've been experimenting with. I was trying to keep it consistent, but I can make these more subtle! Thanks for the input!

Try using small caps instead of scaling down the text size for that line...at least if the font has small caps. Else try adding an outline of say 0.25" or less to those scaled characters.

Good catch, ABC. I would like to think I would have seen that if I hadn't been using a phone...but I likely would have missed it.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...