You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have sometimes been puzzled as to why some filters don't work in Photo. I think the reason is often that the filter is applied to the wrong layer.

For example, set up a background layer, then do some adjustments, such as a Curves adjustment, then do an Unsharp mask filter.

Sometimes nothing seems to happen - and indeed most probably nothing does happen. This seems to be beceause fhe filter will only work on the layer below it, which is not the actual layer which is to be filtered, but is an adjustment layer.

It would perhaps be helpful if a warning could be given if a filter is being applied to a layer which is itself not going to be modified.

Of course knowing about this issue makes it much easier to manage, and the filter can be dropped down onto the layer to be modified, and the effect is immediate.

Experienced users probably won't need the warning, as they'll know about this already, but other users may find a warning helpful.

Yup, sometimes you only forgtt to pixalete your image or click outside the layer just for hiding the blue-frame... every time buy this = some secondes of confusing.

... And as i allways ask for: Click with a extra-key in a layer = this layer is ALLWAYS in focus (without blue frame), does not matter where i click in the canvas. First if i deselect this layer in the layer-panel it will locked of and you can choose another layer as locked (with extra key) or with normal behavior (simple click).

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!