You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I looked for a thread that would answer what I am looking for, I expect it exists, just can’t find it.

i will describe myself as a 6/10 photographer and a 1/10 Posr-processor.

That said, as I approach Retiement, I would like to become reasonably proficient photo editor (5/10 ?), thus purchased Affinity after much research as I sensed it offered much of the functionality of more expensive and complex programs.

i have diligently followed about the first 15 video tutorials and I am lost.  I sense they are written for the Photoshop refugee !

Where can I find “Affinity for Dummies”?, I need to start from the ground up.  Thanks 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0nqvUZ1eo

The video tutorials are very good, as in, they're very basic to begin with then get more complex the deeper one goes into the program.

You have to ask yourself what it is that you want to do with photo editing. Do you want to do basic editing or create composites?

I am/was a photoshop user for over 10 years until I made the switch over to Affinity - so it helped a bit with coming to grips with a new program which does things slightly differently. Any new photo editing software will always be compared with PS simply because it is THE program that everyone used, so it helps if you have some experience with other photo editing programs.

If you're just starting out, then you have a steep learning curve to climb - just like I did when i first used PS, but as time went by I grew accustomed to using it and, as any student knows, the more you study the subject, the better your understanding of it will be.

You have to start somewhere, and this IS your beginning.

Good luck.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

31 minutes ago, jimfastcar said:

Thanks 

I have seen some paid sites that claim to offer very good instruction, will take a look 

I can recommend the Udemy tutorial Solid Foundations from Simon Foster (aka scaredycat). 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

5 hours ago, jimfastcar said:

Thanks 

I have seen some paid sites that claim to offer very good instruction, will take a look 

You really don't need to pay money to see decent tutorials; the internet is flooded with them. The link I provided in my reply is just an example.

Just get stuck in, hands on, and familiarise yourself with the layout. Open a picture and play around with it - you will not harm the picture and you can exit it at any time.

As the mechanic told his trainee. . .

"Time to get your hands dirty."

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

6 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I can recommend the Udemy tutorial Solid Foundations from Simon Foster (aka scaredycat). 

John

Er ... that'll be @drippy cat, not 'scaredycat'! LOL.

Simon not only offers courses on Udemy, but has also written several blog articles which you can read for free.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Er ... that'll be @drippy cat, not 'scaredycat'! LOL.

Simon not only offers courses on Udemy, but has also written several blog articles which you can read for free.

Thanks @Alfred. That would explain why I could not get @scaredycat to auto-complete.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I'll add my recommendation to Drippy Cat's (Simon Foster) tutorials. He offers a series of beginner tutorials free on You Tube which will get you going and give you a sense of how his teaching style fits you. If you like his approach have a look at his Affinity Photo Basic Foundations course on Udemy - it's very thorough, aimed at a newbie (which we all were) and gives explanations not only of how (as in which button to press) but also why you do things in a particular order. Sections of the course are available for free preview. The courses are also on sale at the moment.

On 4/8/2018 at 3:48 AM, jimfastcar said:

Where can I find “Affinity for Dummies”?, I need to start from the ground up.  Thanks 

Check out my channel, i do new tutorials every 2-3 days and make them for a beginner level. You can also suggest topic you want to see. plus, if you support me on patreon, you can even use the live chat and post images for feedback:

My Youtube Playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH1tkjphTlWUlEKT63vb1IhVlHPp0e3eH

My Patroen: https://www.patreon.com/sarikas

2 hours ago, Multi4G said:

That’s a useful link, thanks, but it isn’t a playlist! It’s a link to the video whose YouTube ID is ‘Uftkq117i8g’, which is on the following playlist:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH1tkjphTlWUlEKT63vb1IhVlHPp0e3eH

Alfred spacer.png

I, like you, am retired and enjoy photo editing and post processing. Simon Foster on UDEMY recommended 100%. Once you purchase a class it’s yours for future reference. Drippy cat will take you as far as you wish to go. He is also quick to answer comments/requests through the link provided by UDEMY. Have fun!

• 3 years later...
33 minutes ago, Mereteran said:

It is very sad that I did not receive an answer to my question.

Hello, sorry for the late feedback.

It's a mixture of both. With technical skill, you can also make a bad motif shine in "good light". On the other hand, a good motif with a good basic mood requires little technical post-processing. 

So creativity and technique are equally important for a photograph.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

47 minutes ago, Mereteran said:

It is very sad that you waited for more than two years before posting again to this thread!

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Mereteran said:

It is very sad that you posted an off-topic question in someone else's topic, rather than creating your own question/topic which would probably have gotten more attention.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Mereteran said:

I decided to write here, because often my new requests as a new user are blocked by the forum management.

Since you joined in 2019, you are not a new user. But since you only have made 1 post before today & never started a topic of your own (see https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/profile/113700-mereteran/content/) my guess is rather than being blocked from starting a topic of your own, you would have to wait for a moderator approval before it would become visible to the other forum members.

(I think that is what "Moderated Member" means in the info to the left of your posts.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7