You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unwanted "micro" border with overlapping shapes

Hi. I'm struggling with this problem: whenever I have perfectly overlapping shapes, I can see a very tiny black border belonging to the bottom one (none of the shapes have a stroke). Here a clear example: I create a black circle with no stroke and duplicate it, making the second one white. I attach the result.

Thanks

ER

slice1.jpg

This happens in Illustrator as well.

5ac9ba678d949_ScreenShot2018-04-08at07_44_13.png.52e644e9ccf7341ff92bcd5d9e039090.png

There is a good explanation of this effect for Illustrator and I think this is what is happening here.

Adobe Illustrator constructs objects with vector mathematics. However, it has to interpret that vector data into pixels in order to display it on the (pixel-based) monitor.

To create smooth lines on screen it anti-aliases pixels when two colors lie next to each other. It essentially "blends" the two colors together over a pixel or two in order to represent their position. 

Sometimes this anti-aliasing isn't entirely smooth if your monitor is not capable of high quality rendering. Therefore you get a small, off-color, hairline, edge with some objects.

This hairline will generally disappear if you uncheck Anti-Alias Artwork in the preferences. It will also disappear if you print the artwork or export artwork using the "Art Optimized" anti-alias setting.

This small anti-aliasing pixel is generally nothing to be concerned about.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

How to make the fringing go away

Antiliasing.thumb.gif.4ba021523acee5805de588317f24d516.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, thank you very much for the exhaustive answer.

I've tried it and it worked. The aliasing is a bit more pronounced though (I attach an example.)

The software knows what shapes are on top and what ones lie perfectly under them, so I think an option should be implemented to optimize this issue, at least during exportation. (i.e by preventing any pixel to appear if it belongs to the bottom layer).

slice1@8x.png

Maybe a dumb question, but if you have perfectly overlapping shapes, why not just hide (or delete) the bottom one?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On the 1600% @ 6.25% I can still see the circle!

Does this qualify me to call myself Clarke Kent and wear very very snug red underpants in public.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Does this qualify me to call myself Clarke Kent and wear very very snug red underpants in public.

No, nothing qualifies you for that. o.O

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

No, nothing qualifies you for that. o.O

Damn, so close. Okay I'll put my Spiderman outfit back on sigh!