You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to add a stroke to a circle that is distorted as the example below. I tried using a textured brush stroke but none had the same effect as the example. I was able to edit the pressure of a basic brush stroke to somewhat achieve the effect. But, I wanted to ask the community here if I'm missing another feature in Designer that would achieve that look? How would you recreate this? Is there an easier method?

distorted_stroke.JPG

Create a custom brush.

• Use the Pencil Tool to draw a rough shape. 
  • 5ac9d7e5b473e_ScreenShot2018-04-08at09_48_16.png.d25976e75bbc7c27e10c4ec26c241c36.png
  • drag a guide out and place it roughly in the middle of the shape so you get a feel for how the stroke will be applied
  • 5ac9d7f93975c_ScreenShot2018-04-08at09_49_28.png.9f72c09524cb069a0e51ed5366f9b7db.png
  • Tweak the nodes with the Node Tool (A)
  • 5ac9d8cca047f_ScreenShot2018-04-08at09_50_22.png.2bb736206675b06e035e47a5bace57b7.png
  • Now Export it as a png file no background and remember where you saved it
  • Now go to the Brushes Panel and Create a New Category then Rename the New Category
  • 5ac9d95c895c5_ScreenShot2018-04-08at09_53_27.png.650becaf7e29870cf2f1a3498daa27db.png
  • Now create a New Textured Image Brush and import that shape you exported
  • Apply it to the shape and tweak the brushes settings

You may have to create multiple brushes to get it right but at least you learn a new skill and will have brushes galore lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi. Sirenetta,

What firstdefense describes is the way to go. I've spent the better part of 3 weeks working on various Textured Image Brushes. There are many possibilities.

Prior to that, I also played around w. making lots of pressure profiles. Here's is something else you can try while getting the hang of making brushes. Duplicate you shape a few times, and start making new nodes and breaking the shape into line segments. That way even a single pressure profile will be replicated w. variation, and by modifying the opacity and blend modes, quite subtle effects can be had. W. multiple pressure profiles, one can approach the same effect as the Textured Image, and still retain pure vector qualities.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you firstdefense on the steps for a custom brush! And thank you gdenby for the advice about the pressure profiles. I was unaware that I could break the shape into line segments and then apply a pressure profile. I like the idea of maintaining pure vector qualities.