You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Created in Affinity Designer v1.6.4.104.

Problem: I made this picture this morning and saved changes along the way as I usually do.  I finally finished and did one last save (I thought) ...gave it a name...and saved as an .afdesign.   Puttered around with other things for awhile....took a look at this one again and noticed that I had not added whiskers to the mouse on the bottom. I opened the image, ungrouped ....made the change to the whiskers, regrouped and attempted to save and got this notice.  Then I tried to "save as" with a slight name change....got the same notice. Eventually I was able to group and export but was still unable to save the changes as an .afdesign image.. I seem to have developed the problem with this version of AD as I do not remember getting it with other versions.

My question is  it something I am inadvertently doing...or not doing?

failtosave-capture.PNG

No, I tried several times to give it a different name and got the same notice with each attempt. I even tried to see if I could save it to a different folder and also got the failed to save banner.  I finally grouped all together and exported it as a .png but now I am unable to make any changes, which I had been able to do before.  This is the first time I have received a notice like this and I have been using AD since the beta stages.  I appreciate all the feedback and trying to help me solve this issue.

• Staff

Have you tried saving to your desktop or local disk? You could also try creating a snapshot of the document in the Snapshots panel and then create a new document from the snapshot. You can then see if you're able to save this new version of the file.

No, that is something I did not try to do Leigh, mainly because the snapshot feature is something I really did not know about.  Now I will explore that and see if it could be a solution.  Very appreciative of your help and hope it will help me to resolve this issue.  Sadly I cannot seem to do anything about the above image as far as further changes but it may indeed help if this comes up again as it has a couple of times in the past.  Those times the image was not nearly so far along and I didn't really lose any work as I did this time.  Am off to investigate the snapshot feature. 

• Staff

Hi thisldo,

Did you open that file directly from the external drive to work on it? We don't recommend opening/working directly from external/NAS drives/cloud services as Affinity may lose the connection with the drive for some reason or the file may become corrupted due to the sync service.

Good morning MEB,

Yes, I did save to and attempt to open from an external drive.  This sounds reasonable ....and probable ...to me.  I did not think of the loss of connection possibility and the resulting possible corruption actually but it certainly is something to consider.  After a hard drive crash a while ago resulting in considerable expense to reclaim some work, I set up an external drive. At first I was saving work to both, but lately I find I am remiss in saving to the hard drive and go directly to the external to save/retrieve.  Since this "fail to save" has occurred several more times recently....both with much smaller images and less layers and after I have been away from the desk for a short period in which there was no activity, I am tending to think you have nailed the problem.  At any rate it has given me something with which to work as to solving it. Thanks so much!