You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I am testing out Affinity to see if it a program I can use as I learn to produce high quality photos.  I am trying to use the basic "inpainting brush tool" to enhance a photo.  It is not working.  I have reviewed the videos, it should be just as easy as clicking and scrubbing it out.  Nothing happens.  Am I just completely confused or is there a problem with my download?

Thank you!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Novice101. :)

The most common stumbling blocks with the Inpainting Brush Tool (and other tools which operate at the pixel level) are the layer type and the tool settings. If the Layers panel shows the current layer as an ‘(Image)’ layer, you need to right-click on it and choose ‘Rasterize...’ to convert it to a ‘(Pixel)’ layer. As for the tool settings, make sure that the Opacity and Flow (displayed on the Context toolbar) are at or near 100%.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you Alfred for your help.  I have felt quite welcome.  Pardon the lame photo, I just grabbed a shot I knew I could easily manipulate.  Can you tell what I have or haven't done correctly? I have made sure that I have my background at the 'Pixel' layer and my settings are at 100%.  Still a no go with the with the Inpainting brush tool. 

Thank you again.

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.35.06 PM.png

Thanks for the screenshot. Your background layer is indeed a pixel layer but the currently selected layer is the mask layer above that. Left-click on the background layer to highlight it and you should be good to go.

Alfred spacer.png

@Alfred

That is exactly what I was trying to do with my photo. :)

I wonder if my issue isn't so much in not knowing Affinity, but maybe because I am also new at using Mac.  I will keep trying, if I cannot get it by the time my 10 days are up I will try another program.

@Sima

I have tried the healing tool also, it doesn't remove the subject it just blurs it.  So what I am finding is some of the the tools work and some don't?  It is baffling me.

Thank you both!

1 hour ago, Novice101 said:

@Sima

I have tried the healing tool also, it doesn't remove the subject it just blurs it.  So what I am finding is some of the the tools work and some don't?  It is baffling me.

@Sima wasn't suggesting that you use the Healing Brush Tool itself, but instead pointing you in the direction of the toolbar group where that tool resides. Clicking on the little triangular arrow as instructed will reveal all the tools in the group, one of which is the Inpainting Brush Tool; if you're more of a keyboard shortcuts person, pressing J repeatedly will allow you to cycle through the tools until you see the one you want.

Alfred spacer.png