You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tell me about Affinity Publisher

I noticed there is what appears to be an historical version which a license is still available; but in one of my other posts someone mentioned there may be a future version.  Anyone have any insight?

Thanks

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

7 minutes ago, RickyO said:

I noticed there is what appears to be an historical version which a license is still available

The Affinity suite is a completely new, cross-platform suite of programs. The 'historical version' to which you refer will be the Windows-only DTP application PagePlus, which had already been in existence for a quarter of a century before Serif started developing Affinity Designer. PagePlus X9 has many features which the first version of Affinity Publisher won't have, and PagePlus files are not compatible with Affinity files.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks to both of you.

Alfred, can you elaborate on what features the old version had, but the new one will not?

Thanks

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

@Alfred Page Plus X9... Nice to read how you write it.

Let's say a person (me in this case) want to eject and leave indesign, can pageplus X9 do the job? 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

I'm not Alfred, but no one here has such a list. Serif has mentioned a few things it will not have in the first version nor for several versions, such as merging capabilities. I suspect other features such as running headers may not be in it right off, either. 

There is a teaser thread with a video. 

Just now, Arnaud Mez said:

@Alfred Page Plus X9... Nice to read how you write it.

Let's say a person (me in this case) want to eject and leave indesign, can pageplus X9 do the job? 

Depends on what you typically create in ID.

PP is quite capable though. Its pdf pass through is ok for some pdfs...with ID pdfs being generally the worst offenders. 

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

PP is quite capable though. Its pdf pass through is ok for some pdfs...with ID pdfs being generally the worst offenders. 

I seem to remember PDF pass-through being mentioned as another feature which won’t be available in Affinity Publisher at initial release.

Alfred spacer.png

I generally design kits for clients (social networks banners, photos profile, printable flyer, campaign assorted business cards, etc.) 

I'm still with ID because of create layouts from master page with auto scale etc. 

There are many other stuff but that's the one I like. 

Create one design and derivate it to another size format for another usage. 

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

8 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Depends on what you typically create in ID.

Do you mean PP creates better pdfs than ID? 

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

4 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Do you mean PP creates better pdfs than ID? 

No, I don't. The Adobe PDF engine is very robust. What I mean is placing PDFs in PP, having those PDFs represented properly and export to PDFs unchanged. This is some that the better layout applications do well. The concept of PDF-pass-through was introduced late in PP's life and was never fully fixed so as to be reliable with a broader range of PDFs produced in other applications. The ones PP consistently struggled with were/are PDFs produced by ID.

This affected people who say were creating magazines or other publications wherein ads would come in from a variety of applications more so than a "normal" user. Of course, the exception being that many also needed to open PDFs for editing in PP and again, PDFs from ID were among the most difficult to faithfully open.

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

No, I don't. The Adobe PDF engine is very robust. What I mean is placing PDFs in PP, having those PDFs represented properly and export to PDFs unchanged. This is some that the better layout applications do well. The concept of PDF-pass-through was introduced late in PP's life and was never fully fixed so as to be reliable with a broader range of PDFs produced in other applications. The ones PP consistently struggled with were/are PDFs produced by ID.

This affected people who say were creating magazines or other publications wherein ads would come in from a variety of applications more so than a "normal" user. Of course, the exception being that many also needed to open PDFs for editing in PP and again, PDFs from ID were among the most difficult to faithfully open.

I see. 

I'm new at doing design and desktop publishing but I'm impressed how complete PP X9 is/was when I read it's description from Wikipedia and from avanquest website. 

The only issue is that PP X9 is a windows only product but it they say it's work on pc with 512mb of ram only, which is something that I want to try

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

5 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

The only issue is that PP X9 is a windows only product but it they say it's work on pc with 512mb of ram only, which is something that I want to try

The 512 MB minimum spec for RAM only applies to (32-bit) Windows XP. For Vista and 32-bit Win 7 or 8 you need at least 1 GB, and for 64-bit Win 7, 8 or 10 the minimum amount of system RAM is specified as 2 GB.

Alfred spacer.png

ok i see.

Really wanted to give it a try on my old PC with 1GB RAM but will wait for Publisher before i upgrade it to more RAM

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Looks like there is quite a bit of interest for the new publishing app from Serif.  I hope they see this thread.  Likewise, hope they iron out any issues and add as much functionality as possible.

Glad I started this thread!

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

3 hours ago, RickyO said:

hope they iron out any issues and add as much functionality as possible

It’s safe to say that’s exactly why they’ve kept us waiting so long! The first public beta release won’t be bug-free, and new bugs will doubtless creep in as known bugs are addressed in subsequent builds, but that’s what beta testing is for. ;)

Developer @Dave Harris stated that the app would be released when it’s “useful to someone”. When he wrote this, he went on to point out that “that someone may not be you”.

Alfred spacer.png