You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I wish that I was better at doing shadows! But it seems no matter what I do, I can never get it quite right.

One day. . .maybe?

Platform 3.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, BrokenT said:

This is great. It would be cool to add a Predator walking out of the train.

Ha! I never thought of that. Maybe in another attempt later.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

2 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

Ha! I never thought of that. Maybe in another attempt later.

When you decide to work on it again let me know. if I can help. I really liked this. And actually maybe you can help me out. I am dipping my toe into photo composite pieces. How do you go about making sure all the individual assests you use come together to look "real" do you treat each item as its own and make adjustments on each one at a time, and then overall adjustments at the end? I would love to learn from you if you are willing to share.

Thanks T

I would normally begin by cutting out all the components I need.

Select a background (in this case it was a photo I took while at Waterloo Station.

Then I would use the 'channels' in an attempt to colour/tone etc.. match (as best I can) all the elements.

After that I use anything that looks good; lots and lots of adjustment layers, brightness, HSL, contrast.

I don't know if that explains to any degree but that's how I go about it.

In my composites I try to color match all the elements with curves first, sometimes adding "Average Blur" of the duplicated background on top of that (set to Color blending mode and with 25-30% opacity). Works quite well. Then I drop some basic shadows and highlights on my objects that I can tweak later if needed. Making it all look believable and interesting takes a lot of time, but it's worth it. ;)

Also, for creating shadows I would recommend this video. It was really helpful for me (like many other Photoshop tutorials that translate well to Affinity Photo).

That aside, I like the concept of your image Jules and it definitely put a smile on my face. ;)

2 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

I would normally begin by cutting out all the components I need.

Select a background (in this case it was a photo I took while at Waterloo Station.

Then I would use the 'channels' in an attempt to colour/tone etc.. match (as best I can) all the elements.

After that I use anything that looks good; lots and lots of adjustment layers, brightness, HSL, contrast.

I don't know if that explains to any degree but that's how I go about it.

That is very helpful! Thank you so much

2 minutes ago, Bigby said:

In my composites I try to color match all the elements with curves first, sometimes adding "Average Blur" of the duplicated background on top of that (set to Color blending mode and with 25-30% opacity). Works quite well. Then I drop some basic shadows and highlights on my objects that I can tweak later if needed. Making it all look believable and interesting takes a lot of time, but it's worth it. ;)

Also, for creating shadows I would recommend this video. It was really helpful for me (like many other Photoshop tutorials that translate well to Affinity Photo).

That aside, I like the concept of your image Jules and it definitely put a smile on my face. ;)

Thank you so much for sharing. I will have to check this video out later. I would love to see some of your work .

4 minutes ago, Bigby said:

Thanks...but I've seen this one along with countless others.

Oh, okay.

Creating shadows can be a pain in the butt. I'll share some other videos/tips if I find one.

BrokenT - No problem. I'm not a pro though. Just doing photo manipulations, composites, posters and such in my spare time. ;)

20 hours ago, Bigby said:

Oh, okay.

Creating shadows can be a pain in the butt. I'll share some other videos/tips if I find one.

BrokenT - No problem. I'm not a pro though. Just doing photo manipulations, composites, posters and such in my spare time. ;)

A pain in the butt indeed.

I've watched lots of creating shadows videos, especially when I started out trying to tackle photo composites way back when I first got PS7. I used that program for years and years - got to know it quite well, too. The underlining 'truth' which I discovered is: shadows are most definitely not BLACK! They consist mostly of the colour they rest on. With this principle in mind, most of my composites using PS7 came out quite good once I figured that out.

When I made the bold switch to Affinity last year I found myself unable to achieve the same results that I could with PS7. Obviously, this wasn't because of Affinity, it was because I launched myself on yet another learning curve after discovering that Affinity does things slightly different than PS. So I had to acclimatise myself with another editing program.

Having said all that, shadows are still a pain in the butt, and the picture above has very diffuse shadows naturally dropping from the structures. It was a total cow to try and emulate.

2 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

The underlining 'truth' which I discovered is: shadows are most definitely not BLACK! They consist mostly of the colour they rest on.

Shadows can theoretically be black, but that requires a pure white light source, and in practice a shadow is never completely opaque (which is where the colour of whatever they rest on comes into the equation).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Shadows can theoretically be black, but that requires a pure white light source, and in practice a shadow is never completely opaque (which is where the colour of whatever they rest on comes into the equation).

Indeed.

All I know is: once I applied darkened colour to shade I had far better results that I would have got if I used just black.

5 hours ago, peter said:

Yeah! With Dutch/Arnie as the ticket collector or guard.

Ha!

Maybe in another picture, another scenario, but for me it was always going to be Ripley.