You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Doodling Kit

VectorVonDoom

Looks I've been drawing using my trackpad too much and it's starting to give me thumb and bit of finger problems, not something I've ever had using a mouse. So I've been practicing with my other hand using my Intuos, with the MBP's trackpad disabled, to give that hand a rest. This was some messing around I was doing. It's hard sticking to the wrong hand perhaps I need to sit on it or lock it in a drawer or something. Anyway I did a doodling kit and thought 250 objects would be plenty (I originally hoped about 70 would be) but trying it out on A5 it looks like I need more, possibly a lot more, and some small things to help fill gaps.. You just Alt-drag them over to the work artboard then rotate etc as required. The second is just some conical gradients on the few layers I used. Oh the lines are 0.2mm, so as thought they're they're done with a fineliner.

test.jpg

test_colour.jpg

Elements.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

32 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

a doodling kit

Somehow “doodling” seems like a much too mundane description, Marc. I think “sheer genius” would be more fitting!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You're being too kind, doodle's much closer to what it is lol. I'll finish off the kit properly and do a, hopefully, decent example. That one was sort of throwing it together and seeing the best way to do that throwing, although the coloured version doesn't look too awful. I might do a more realistic kit sometime, I do like my realistic.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

4 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

I do like my realistic.

I think you’re already aware that quite a few of us like your realistic. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

The idyllic countryside background could be made more prominent, and his spacesuit could be less subtle, and the dinosaur eating a car full of giant spiders in the middle-distance doesn't really catch the eye, but I'm happy with it (and so is he by the looks of him).

Maybe if I printed it onto a giant towel, covered it in treacle, ripped it up, and then scattered the pieces randomly around an operating theatre, then it could be a Turner Prize contender?

Indeed.

I'm no artist - see above (and my other submissions) for proof - but I can't see where the artistic merit is in a lot of modern art.
Maybe I'm just not the right audience, but if I have to be told what something should mean to me then it's not good art (whatever the heck I mean by that).

A bed is to be slept in, a urinal is to be peed in, etc. etc.
A man dribbling Bovril onto the belly of a swan while its honks are converted into swirling images projected onto the side of an elephant just doesn't do it for me (I made that one up, just in case anyone thinks about looking it up).

Paint me a pretty picture or make me a nice sculpture of something that I recognise and I'm happy with that.

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Maybe I'm just not the right audience, but if I have to be told what something should mean to me then it's not good art (whatever the heck I mean by that).

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, Garry. Tracey Emin’s work ‘My Bed’ obviously meant something to her, but to the rest of us it’s just a (very messy!) unmade bed with stuff strewn around the floor next to it.

At least other controversial artists like Damien Hirst have had some inventive ideas. I read recently that Hirst’s first solo show began with flowers scattered around the room and butterfly pupae embedded in five large white canvases, with the butterflies emerging from their cocoons and feeding on the flowers over the course of the exhibition.

Alfred spacer.png

I think most people have the same view. In Emin's case it's not as though it's just experimenting but can do "art" when she wants to, as her drawings are dire.  She's a art god compared to http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/jianhua-blank-paper-t14361 though. I don't understand how many of them even get in to art school.

Having said that it's not a totally new thing. Look up Peinture Le Chien by  Joan Miro, went for $2m or for the totally absurd Onement Vi by Barnett Newman went for $44m and it's just a canvas painted all blue with a white line.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, Garry. Tracey Emin’s work ‘My Bed’ obviously meant something to her, but to the rest of us it’s just a (very messy!) unmade bed with stuff strewn around the floor next to it.

At least other controversial artists like Damien Hirst have had some inventive ideas. I read recently that Hirst’s first solo show began with flowers scattered around the room and butterfly pupae embedded in five large white canvases, with the butterflies emerging from their cocoons and feeding on the flowers over the course of the exhibition.

How much does Hirst actually do himself though and not pass on to his minions? I remember seeing a documentary where the butterfly paintings weren't painted by him, he just oversaw them, same with the dots. He seems as much of a business man than an artist. I'm not saying he hasn't any vision though.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

14 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Look up Peinture Le Chien by  Joan Miro, went for $2m

Hmm ... I see what you mean, Marc! I do actually like some of Miró’s work, but that particular piece is laughable.

11 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

How much does Hirst actually do himself though and not pass on to his minions? I remember seeing a documentary where the butterfly paintings weren't painted by him, he just oversaw them, same with the dots. He seems more of a business man that an true artist.

That does seem to be the case now, although he obviously made his early pieces himself. I can’t say ‘his’ dots do anything for me!

I'm not saying he hasn't any vision though.

Tracey Emin, on the other hand...

Alfred spacer.png

Back to my messing around, I've added a chunk more objects and updated the preview in the first post. Think that will do.

Was thinking about doing a little competition, seeing who can come up with the best design in return for my AD resources I've started producing but not sure anyone will be interested.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

6 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

never doodled before, come up with a kind of fractal doodle.

That’s more like a mandala than a fractal design, but I quibble! It’s a lovely result. :)

Alfred spacer.png

57 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

another try

Superb! (Is that meant to be Dick Bruna’s Miffy, or does it just happen to look a lot like her?)

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Superb! (Is that meant to be Dick Bruna’s Miffy, or does it just happen to look a lot like her?)

Yes it is, "nijntje" in dutch

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma