You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request - Vignette as Adjustment Layer (video demo)

I'd like to put in a request for Vignette as an Adjustment Layer tool :)

It would be fantastic to be able to go back and change it whenever you need to.

Also giving it some more options than usual vignette tools would put AP ahead of other programs.

I mean not even the mighty PS has a dedicated vignette tool, the closest PS have is the "Lens Correction / Custom tab" and only Amount and Midpoint.

I made a demo video of how it could look like.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This technique is a very clever use of AP's ability to use both pixel-based and vector-based content seamlessly in a single working environment.  Very nicely done and the video makes it very easy to understand the concept and all of its features and powerful adjustments.  This technique could be extended to make any number of dodge and burn vector-based masks that would complement the available raw developer gradient adjustment, without the need for brushing in an edit.  A library of mask shapes could be made with each having its own macro to generate the initial shape.  The user could then modify the shape to their liking for the specific application.  

The example in the video of the vignette being converted to a curve to conform to some of the landscape features is a good example of taking, say, a gradient adjustment (a graduated neutral density filter, but in post) and adapting its effect to the landscape.  Etc.

Have you tried creating a Macro to build the basic structure of the vignette, with some of the controls exposed to the user?  It may be an ad-hoc way to provide the tool in a semi-automated manner to users.

Nice work!

kirk

But you can make a macro to set up the two layers and apply a Gaussian Blur effect to the white, rounded corner shape.  At least those steps can be automated.  Too bad you cannot even Group layers together in the Macro recorder.

kirk

Just to be sure, my understanding is that AP DOES have a Vignette tool which is available as a adjustment layer. The only thing is that it doesn't offer all the manipulation features shown in the video. Or did i miss something?

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2015 at 8:58 PM, Jakerlund said:

I'd like to put in a request for Vignette as an Adjustment Layer tool :)

It would be fantastic to be able to go back and change it whenever you need to.

Also giving it some more options than usual vignette tools would put AP ahead of other programs.

I mean not even the mighty PS has a dedicated vignette tool, the closest PS have is the "Lens Correction / Custom tab" and only Amount and Midpoint.

I made a demo video of how it could look like.

Why can not this work like this in windows desktop? How to acheive this in windows? in windows there is 4 adjustments togles, but cant move the shape around (and is not highlighted neither)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.